Sign in to follow this  
Squirrel

Branding Leather

I've just bought a branding iron and wanted to use it for leather items.

Any tips would be really useful.

I'm looking to use it on belts, wallets etc.

I'm assuming I can use it on tooling leather, but can I stain or dye afterwards or will that cover the branding?

I know I should probably just practise with it, but thought I'd see if anyone here has used one.

Thanks for any help

Sheila

I always brand before I dye or finish at all. Depending on the color of the dye, your brand just might "vanish". I have found it to be most useful on:

1) leather that can't be tooled (oil-tanned, deerskin, elkskin, etc

2) items that are left natural or dyed a light color.

You can dye dark after branding and depending on the brand, you may have a cool "embossed" look.

Practice, practice, practice...then test before doing it. I spent several days getting to know my branding iron by testing on various types and thicknesses of leather. I know I have to let it heat up for 15-20 minutes, use it at about 80% power, hold it for about a 5-count on 7-8 oz leather...usually. But before I commit, I use a piece of scrap from the piece of leather I am actually going to brand and test brand. Every piece of leather is different and will take the brand differently. I also try to make sure I give even downward pressure and just a bit of a "roll" as I press down.

I hope that helps.

Good luck!

Dave

I've just bought a branding iron and wanted to use it for leather items.

Any tips would be really useful.

I'm looking to use it on belts, wallets etc.

I'm assuming I can use it on tooling leather, but can I stain or dye afterwards or will that cover the branding?

I know I should probably just practise with it, but thought I'd see if anyone here has used one.

Thanks for any help

Sheila

Well, I have branded a number of items over the years, but not with a commercial branding iron. I use coat hanger wire to replicate original cattle brand, heat them with a propane torch or the kitchen stove. I find that the wire, heated red/yellow hot works best for me. I brand after dying but before finishing. I also find that the use of light shades or tones of browns and tans allow the brand to show the the greatest extent. A pic of the last holster done with cattle brands. Mike

005-3.jpg

Beautiful work Mike! And thanks for the tip. I love the idea of doing the old brands. We have a lot of them here in Oklahoma that would make some great additions to my work.

Dave

Beautiful work Mike! And thanks for the tip. I love the idea of doing the old brands. We have a lot of them here in Oklahoma that would make some great additions to my work.

Dave

Thanks Dave, I appreciate the comments. If using coat hanger wire, you may find it simpler to make some of the more complex brands in two or three pieces, also ensure that the little irons will lay flat on the leather for an even burn. Finally ..... use pliers to hold the hot little beggars! Mike

I make several knife sheaths for fillet knives and sometimes I will use a fish hook to brand the sheath with. I simply heat it up with a propane torch and brand where I need it. On vegi-tan I brand before dye. On other leathers I simply brand then apply a finish or not depending on the leather. I get the hook red hot then wait a few seconds before branding. It only takes a second to burn the brand in. Any longer and you will burn to deep. I branded a wallet once and burned all the way thru the thin leather. Practice on the leather you plan to brand first.

Branding is a cool way to embellish leather. You are only limited by your imagination.Lighten.gif

Wow.... Thanks so much for the replies, they are really helpful:)

Practice seems to be the next step.

Appreciate all the help.

Im just wondering would a resisting technique would work like after you brand take a small brush and apply like some super sheen or some kind of sealer then apply your finish i have never tried branding but would like to. I hope this helps in some way let us know how it works. Happy trails