joe h

Leather Tanneries

Hello, does anyone know any leather tanneries? i am looking to purchase cow or steer hides from the source. right now i deal with Hermann Oak, which is a great tannery but i just want to know what else is out there.

A particular leather tannery i am interested in is the one where Saddleback Leather get their hides from, but if we could put a list together of all working tanneries that are still in bussiness for September 2001, that would be great. the websites would be very helpful.

Hi Joe,

As far as bark or vegetable tanning goes, there is really only one other with any volume, and that is Wickett and Craig. They are in Curwensville, Pa.; they have an excellent finishing shop. For true oak tanning, you have to go to Baker in England. Chrome tanning is a much faster process and you can find many of those in the U.S., they come and go.

Art

Hello, does anyone know any leather tanneries? i am looking to purchase cow or steer hides from the source. right now i deal with Hermann Oak, which is a great tannery but i just want to know what else is out there.

A particular leather tannery i am interested in is the one where Saddleback Leather get their hides from, but if we could put a list together of all working tanneries that are still in bussiness for September 2001, that would be great. the websites would be very helpful.

The premier one is Horween in Chicago.

Art

cool. Who are some of the top Chrome tanneries?

Yea horween makes a great product. Most of their leathers are chrome/ veg re- tan. They are just very hard to pin down and actually get leather to you, unless you are doing high volume. I just started ordering from Maverick leather in CA, they stock horween leathers at prices comparable to tannery prices (for small amounts, 100 sq ft or less). As far as others go, who knows. A lot of tanneries only do very large volume orders, so you need to purchase through a reseller unless you have a serious operation going. A pinned list would be fantastic though. As far as saddleback goes, they are pretty vague about their sources, and since their actual products aren't made in USA. and they state that it is the same tannery that timberland gets their leather from, it's probably overseas. I may be wrong though. Not knocking them btw.

I wonder if Wickett&Craig could do a nu buck finish like saddleback uses. My cousin is addicted to saddleback leather Co products. He likes that nu buck finish that's so easily scratchable

Horween has very nice chrome tanned hides, but I think you can get a better price by going through other sellers who distribute Horween.

If you want to look into Leon, Mexico. You can try Concurmex (sales@concurmex.com), one of two or three tanneries in that area that make a good quality pull-up leather. Here is some information from Concurmex:

We do ship leather for Justin, Tony Lama (the other tannery ships to Timberland), but we also ship to Allen Edmonds, Florsheim, Coach, LL Bean, Johnston & Murphy, among others.

The pull-up leather we have is:

Cyclone (Pull up leather)

Apache (Crazy horse leather)

There is different tannery in Leon, Mexico, that provides leather for Timberland.

Also, in Queens, New York, there is Milton Sokol, which often has a good supply of pull-up leather from Horween, tanneries in Maine, as well as some hides from tanneries in Mexico, including Concurmex. Give Pete a call there. Email him detailed pictures and descriptions of the pull-up leather you want, and he'll do a good job of sending you something with which you will be very satisfied.

Milton Sokol & Company12725 Metropolitan Avenue

Kew Gardens, NY 11415

Neighborhood: Richmond Hill(718) 441-2226

blank_biz_medium_sq.pngAdd Photos

Nearest Transit Station:

121 St (J, Z)

Briarwood - Van Wyck Blvd (E, F)

Jamaica - Van Wyck (E)

I may not be able to help you with the directly from the source but I have a variety of hides in my etsy shop (at what I think is a competitive price). Constantly updating with new articles as I have time to upload them.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LeatherCollector?ref=hdr_shop_menu