rgerbitz

Bit hobble

I had a bunch of string cut up for a bosal, but due to my inability to multiply properly, most of the string was going to be to short. So what you see here in a bit hobble is known as plan B. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Rob

bit_hobble.JPG

post-5521-1213233785_thumb.jpg

Huh - we always called those "curb straps". Nice job! However I would encourage you to tie some more substantial knot in the center of each side, where you have a ring knot between the center of it and the two parts that go over the bit. The reason is, when you actually use one, the curb strap has to sort of stay put and not slide. Maybe your ring knot is secure enough to not slide until you want it, but it's something to think about.

And I can't tell you how often I have been a victim of my own lack of math skills! Nice way to save the situation. :)

Edited by HorsehairBraider

Turned out nice. Sometimes knowing how to turn a mistake into something nice is one of the best assets to have. We always called those bit hobbles when used on a snaffle bit to keep it from pulling through the mouth. Or curb strap if used on a leverage bit. Maybe it's a regional thing.

That's a good point - maybe it is a regional term. Where I grew up no self-respecting cowboy would use a snaffle where other people might catch him at it, so maybe that's why I never heard anyone call it that.

I grew up in New Mexico and we used both terms. They were generally considered two different items. Snaffles and cheeked hackamores used bit hobbles and shanked bits use the curb strap. The thought was that the hobbles held the rings or cheeks together and the curb strap provided leverage.

Regards,

Ben