Sign in to follow this  
Guy W

Strap End Punch

So I am thinking about ordering a round strap end punch so I can get nice perfect round cuts. The thing is, they seem to be a little expensive. 43.99 for the one on SLC website.

http://springfieldle...Round%2C5-8%22/

If I buy the one that is 1.5" would it be reasonable to also use it on smaller straps? Or do I need the exact sizes for each size strap? What I am thinking is if I get the 1.5" I could use it for belts of that size but hopefully use it for small things like 1" straps for belt loop straps on IWB holsters and things like that as well. So if I have a 1" belt loop strap on a holster could I just stamp out the end with this 1.5" tool (having the tool extend over the sides of the strap) or will it be too hard to get a clean even cut?

Anyone doing this? Thanks.

Edited by Guy W

Springfield Leather has a club i think that you can join and get it cheaper. Haveing one for every size is best. You can punch 1 inch straps with a 1 1/5 punch but it won't round all the way back like one the right size would. The end will will be round but they look a little funny and you need to make sure you have it in the center or you will have a lop sided end.

I tried using a 5/8 rounded strap punch on a 1/2 strap and it didn't look right. you might be able to get away with it using an english point strap punch but the curve of the rounded strap punch looked off to me when I tried it. I ended up purchasing separate end strap punches for each of the different strap widths I use. If you haven't checked ebay yet for strap punches you should, there's some good deals out there.

I am going to have some more up on my website pretty soon. I still have some left on there right now in different sizes in English point and round ends.

I wouldn't recommend running out and buying a strap end punch. I got a 1.5" English point and I am not crazy about it at all. I'm sure my technique is probably at fault but when I use this punch, it ploughs ahead of the starting point and results in a sloped edge, not a 90 degree cut. It was also not as easy to center on the strap as I thought it would be. The tip would be off center and result in a lop-sided cut. The results were worse when trying to use it on straps smaller than 1.5" so I don't recommend that at all.

I actually had a better result using wing dividers to scribe the cut-line and hand-cutting with my utility knife. Since I paid nearly $50 for the punch and I would like the conveniece if I could use it correctly, I will be trying it again. I guess my message is that you should get the punch in every size that you need, don't try to adapt it to different sizes and two, don't be in a hurry, it may not be the perfect solution anyway.

Nick