ACarver

Sizes Of Flowers In Sheridan Carving

Hi.... I'm just wondering if there is something like rule of thumb for sizes of flowers in sheridan patterns? I'm aware of that it depends on the size of the layout or the number of flowers.... what i mean is, in example as a notebook cover, can I use only three flowers? but the flowers will be big.... if I try to put 6 flowers I will have dificullty to cut and tool them... I'm really getting confuse, I red somewhere that do not go bigger than 3 inch for a flower, ... any help???

thanks

Hi.... I'm just wondering if there is something like rule of thumb for sizes of flowers in sheridan patterns? I'm aware of that it depends on the size of the layout or the number of flowers.... what i mean is, in example as a notebook cover, can I use only three flowers? but the flowers will be big.... if I try to put 6 flowers I will have dificullty to cut and tool them... I'm really getting confuse, I red somewhere that do not go bigger than 3 inch for a flower, ... any help???

thanks

If you have tools that will work with the sizes of the flowers you want to do, then I say the sky is the limit. I don't think a 6 inch circle would look very nice if done with tools meant for a much smaller size flower/circle. This is only MY opinion, though. There are no hard and fast rules in most areas of leather work. Why does it need to be a Sheridan design? Could it be another floral design? There's a lot of nice designs right on the covers of the Leather Crafter's and Saddlers Journal. Maybe you could do something similar? Take a look at pictures of old saddles. A lot of them are floral carved, but not necessarily in a Sheridan pattern.

Some have very large flowers.

Maybe all you need is some more practice carving? Maybe your leather is not properly cased? If you are having trouble,chances are good your swivel knife is not as sharp as it needs to be? Most people think their knives are sharp when they are NOT sharp enough.

These are just a few suggestions. Hope it was at least a little helpful to you.

Hilly

Edited by Hilly

Practice as much as possible.

A couple of things that may relate that I read once, dont draw what you cant cut, dont cut what you cant tool. Basically lots of times people start to try and work too small when larger is a little easier at first. Then work more into detail and what not. SIze of tools like mentioned are essential as well.

Maybe draw a design and tool it on some scrap leather first. Post this in the critique section and see what kind of pointers people give ya. Or post it here.

There are no real rules when doing floral patterns. I prefer to refer to the size of the layout circle ("primary circle") rather than the flower itself. My personal feeling is that one should try to keep the size of "primary circles" to 3" or 3-1/2" inchesin diameter max. IMHO anything larger on a notebook will appear clunky and lack "flow". In order to demonstrate "flow" in the pattern, it is necessary to keep the "primary circles" relatively small. Six flowers is a nice size for an 8-1/2"x11" notebook, but four might be easier for you to tool. If you are truly trying to do Sheridan style carving you will need to utilize Sheridan style tools.

Here are some basic layout tips:

- Arrange your "primary circles" before you draw anything in.

- Determine the direction of flow between the "primary circles" (draw an arrow defining flow).

- Orient your flowers realtive to the "crossovers" between the circles.

- Insure the stemwork on each "primary circle" remains round.

- Your "primary circle" represents the center line of your stemwork. Never let an element cross it!

- Insure every element you draw conforms to the shape of a "C" or an "S".

- Make sure your background areas are consistent in size.

Hope this helps........

Bobby