I have never done a saddle repair, but have wanted to see what is involved. My nephew's girlfirend lives on a farm and has one that she says has a broken tree.

What is involved in repair of the tree or does it need to be replaced? I assume "replaced" but just don't know.

If it needs to be replaced where can I read up on what is involved or find a tutorial.

I've looked through most of the posts and realize that the first thing I need to do is learn some terminology.

Back to scanning and reading <g>

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Precision Saddle tree co advertises that they can repair trees or even copy them. Check out their website: http://www.precisionsaddletree.com/treerepair.shtml

Thanks. I'll check them out.

Rod & Denise Nikkel also do replacements. Their work is supreme. I viewed their blog last night and it was really interesting about tree replication. Check it out:

http://www.rodnikkel.com/content/index.php/saddle-tree-blog-from-shop-and-desk/duplicating-trees-part-1-taking-them-apart/

I assume that whichever way I went, I'd strip off all the leather prior to sending it in and then reinstall it when it comes back?

Oh.. Meant to ask. I was looking online and saw saddle referred to as 15", 16" etc, What are they measuring? One of the 16" said it fit 90% of the horses in the USA...??? True??? I would think you'd have to measure a horse and pick something that fit it's back...

BUT, I'm still learning, so what do I know :crazy:

Edited by TomG

Tom,

The 15 or 16 inch measurements are the seat length of the saddle, meant to tell you how much room there is for the rider. It has nothing to do with the fit for the horse. Depending on the design of the tree, they can fit a range of horse back types, but 90% of all horses in the US? That is really pushing it... We put up our website to help people who are interested learn more about trees. A couple pages you may want to look at to start are Measuring a Saddle Tree here: http://www.rodnikkel...-a-saddle-tree/ and Factors That Affect Tree Fit here: http://www.rodnikkel...ffect-tree-fit/ There's lots more on the site, but that should give you a good start on answering your questions.

Tom; As a fellow who has been brought more than one box of saddle to be put back together I would like to warn you of some of the pitfalls. First if you are taking an old saddle apart to repair to learn from I think that is great, I as most saddlers enjoy looking at how others put their saddles together. However if there is an expectation on the part of the saddle owner that you will be able to tear apart their saddle, fix and return it at little cost you might have a problem.

Tree repair can be expensive several hundred dollars in some cases, and that's not counting the tear down and re-assembling of the saddle. This is a good time to remind you that the first real step in any tree work is to ask yourself, if repairing or replacing this tree is the best most cost effective route for your customer? Often I will be brought a cheap low end saddle with a broken tree and we have to tell the owner that it is a good time for them consider getting a different saddle. That said, if the owner wants you to go ahead with the work go slow and remember take apart don't rip apart. I was once brought a box of saddle parts including a seat that had been cut off the cantle binder rather that pulling the stitches, along with the replacement tree, and the owner said to me "I figure it won't be to high cause I took it apart and got the new tree, you just got to put it together". He was not happy when I told him it would have cost less if he would have just brought in the saddle. Don't be that guy! If they decide not to fix the saddle maybe they will give it to you to play with and learn from.

By the way Rod and Denise have put together what I think is the best resource on saddle tree construction in the business, you can learn alot there, study that site. Good Luck. I hope this was of some help.......... Jeff

Edited by horsewreck

Thanks. Mauifarrier had already steered me to your site and I spent an hour or so reading your info packed pages.

I appreciate the efforts this takes, I had no ideait was so involved. I have done some woodworking in the past, so I can appreciate the difficulty and attention to detail it requires.

IF she really wants me to do this and IF I decide to make the attempt, I'll definately be giving you a call.

Tom

Thanks Jeff,

I haven't seen it yet, so I have no idea of the overall condition.

I agree with the teardown.... I wouldn't even attempt this unless I took it apart so I could take pictures during each step.

I'll keep you posted if I proceed with it.

Tom

Jeff and Tom, thanks for the kind words about our website. Our aim in putting it up was to help people understand more about trees and it is nice to read that people are finding it useful.

I sure do appreciate your website resource, as I've already said other times before. Thanks, Rod & Denise!

Tom, you have us so curious now as to what this saddle looks like, could you please entertain us with a photo EVEN IF you DONT decide to work on it?

I had a request the other day to entertain a saddle repair where the horse was tied to a tree and bolted forward hanging the horn & fork up on a branch, tearing the rigging apart. It was a Carl Ammerman barrel saddle, which retails at $2,000 or less. I advised they ask the "Manufacturer" about repairs first. Also pointed out there may be tree damage due to such a strain on the saddle.

A wise saddlemaker once told me to avoid doing any changes or repairs to saddle rigging because of liability. The rigging is what holds the saddle onto the horse, so if you're the "last person who touched it" and the rider/owner gets in a wreck, they may hold you liable.

You may have more "fun" building a saddle from scratch than trying to fuss with a mass produced saddle full of glue, nails, & staples. Once you've built a saddle you'll also feel much more familiar with saddle repairs. However, the materials cost to build a saddle may add up to more $$ than your friend wants to invest if she's used to buying production line saddles.

Best wishes!

I won't get a chance to get out there for pictures for a while, unfortunately.

She did send me a message and said she thinks it's a Flex tree... Anyone ever heard of that? She was not sure of the make or maker of the saddle.

Tom

I won't get a chance to get out there for pictures for a while, unfortunately.

She did send me a message and said she thinks it's a Flex tree... Anyone ever heard of that? She was not sure of the make or maker of the saddle.

Tom

Oh boy! That could further complicate things. Not to categorize them as good or bad, but flex trees are made by many different manufacturers and of varying types of materials.

Ralide Blue Colored All Polymer tree. www.ralide.com

Steele "Equifit EVO" Wood tree with Brown Polymer bars & groundseat http://www.steelesaddletree.com/evo.html

Fits better (wood fork & cantle with black rubber bars) http://www.dynamitehorsemansupply.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=315

If you do a search on this forum for "rubber bars" "Flex tree" etc you'll be able to read up on it.

Thanks

I think I just need to find her someone she can send it to for repair.

I don't mind taking on a learning project, but I think this might be too much to cut my teeth on

But I'll keep reading and learning

Thanks

Tom

Tom, If you can send me a photo of the saddle and/or the makers name. I can quote you a price on replacing the tree. More than likely the saddle was made here locally. We may even have a tree in stock to fit it.

Tom, If you can send me a photo of the saddle and/or the makers name. I can quote you a price on replacing the tree. More than likely the saddle was made here locally. We may even have a tree in stock to fit it.

I'll write the owner and see if she will send me the info. She's kind of drop off line for some reason.

Thanks

Tom