Nathan Horn

Couple Of Chink Questions

So, I'm working on a pair of personal chinks and have them close to done, but am pondering a couple of new ideas. They're a pair of square step-ins. The back belt is laced in and is only adjustable by unlacing them and relacing them longer. The legs are laced in, so you can't adjust them without unlacing and relacing them bigger around. I think most of you know what I'm talking about.

So, for the questions. I'm trying to not use any metal hardware of any kind on these chinks, just think it'll be cool. Does anybody have any idea as to how to "buckle" the front belt without a metal buckle. But using a leather button or something else instead. I have a few ideas, but just wondering what ideas anybody else has. Some pictures would of any suggestions would be wonderful just so I know for sure what you're talking about. Thanks for your time and help.

Probably too late to change your front design, but an apron front with a wrap and tie back belt makes a pair of step ins much easier to put on. Stepping into a pair that are solid on the back belt are difficult to get pulled up right without bunching your pants. If you are fine with the laced back belt, maybe use a heavier lace in the front to lace through two sewn holes and tie a square knot or bow.

When you say an aprong front, are you talking about like a pair of armitas or what?

So far, I'm pretty happy with how they fit. I was just thinking that it would be something kind of different if I could completely do them without metal in them anywhere. I found some pretty cool leather knot / buttons that I'm gonna try to use with a slit. Not sure yet. I swear I've seen a pair like I'm thinking of somewhere on this site.

Any other ideas?

To avoid metal, . . . and get it tight, . . . I'd use a loop and button system: like a 3/4 inch wide piece of 7 or 8 oz being anchored on the left chink at one end, . . . the other end having a button hole in it.

Pass the strip through a loop on the right chink, . . . pull it tight and button it.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-011260300 1318615528_thumb.jpg

You could just pass it through the loop and half hitch it if you didnt want to put a button on the other side. That way if the strip stretches, you can always tie it tighter. You could just take a straight piece and cut a slit in it for the loop. Sorry I dont have a pic, but its the same way I do the hangers for bosals. That way they tie similar to a rope halter and can always be adjusted.

Hope that helps,

CW