Sign in to follow this  
mlapaglia

Strange Piece Of Hermann Oak

I have a Back of Herman Oak leather 8/9 oz B Grade, Well 16 sq ft of it. The long sides are over 8 feet and the short side is 2 feet. I cut a few test strips from both ends, short side, they are 13 " x 1.5 " I cased them both with easy Carve. One is just like normal. Still on the firm side with a little wiggle. The other one is SOFT. As soft and limp as a wet noodle. Seriously, it's as limp as a cooked lasagna noodle. Any idea why? due to the way the leather is cut I know its not from the belly. I have never seen leather like this. The other side is great. I need to check it out more and see how far in it is like that. Hopefully not that bad.

Thoughts welcome

Michael

Up date, I took the other end of the piece I cut he floppy strap from. Wet it well and it got floppy. It was 5 inches long. I grabbed it and pulled and it stretched down to 1.25". Id swear its a belly if I had not seen the place it was cut from.

Edited by mlapaglia

I talked to Kevin at SLC and found out that the end where the strip was real loose was the neck end. That's why it was so stretchy. So Ill use that part for other smaller things. It still leaves me with about 14 Sq ft fror belts and holsters.

Im happy. All I wanted was to know why it was that way. It makes sense that the neck should be looser. The part I cut was the farthest from the butt you could get so it was up on the neck.

Its amazing what you can learn with this stuff.

Thanks

Michael

FYI, as Im sure most of you know, The people at Springfield Leather Company are fantastic. I could not ask for better customer service. I dealt with Emmy and Heather and both were amazingly helpful.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity I have to ask...did you get a side or a back? Unless I'm missing something (most likely) a back is just a back...no?

Just curious, are the necks and bellies useful at all?

From what I've read and seen on this site, the stretchy belly stuff is good for things leather bottles (both the beeswax coated leather and the leather stitched over glass bottles), some masks, some canteen covers.

From what I've read and seen on this site, the stretchy belly stuff is good for things leather bottles (both the beeswax coated leather and the leather stitched over glass bottles), some masks, some canteen covers.

That is awesome, I didn't know what I was going to do with bellies of the sides I have coming from Wickett and Craig, but my wife is interested in wrapping some flasks decorated with Saints/LSU themes.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity I have to ask...did you get a side or a back? Unless I'm missing something (most likely) a back is just a back...no?

No you are not missing something I just messed up the terminology. I got 16 sq ft of leather cut from the high side (close to the spine) of the back and shoulder. They called it a back but technically it was a portion of a side. Originally I was going to buy a double shoulder but needed 3 long belts so Heather at Springfield Leather suggested they cut it the way they did. I was originally getting S. American leather but Emma from Springfield called and told me that they could give me a really really good Herman Oak piece for the same price. They get C's and D's but some are really B's and some are no doubt a D. This was a B. It's fantastic in quality. Yes I got a little neck on the piece but I cut off 5 inches X 24 inches off the neck end and have really sold leather from there to the end. So roughly a sq foot Ill use for some small stuff.

I was the one that used the term "back". Sorry if I confused anyone Im still new at this. The good thing is I got a large chunk of Hermann Oak leather for a great price. Cheaper than buying the "best" stuff at Tandy. I wasn't upset about the neck part, just wondering what it was.

I am happy with the leather and very happy with Springfield Leather Company!

Michael

Edited by mlapaglia