Hi everyone!

Ok, so I am really starting to get the leather working bug and even though I should be focused on my main gig, I figure posting questions will allow me to scratch the itch a little bit and get ready for when I have the time!

First question- I understand that the feet on machines are changeable but are they machine/maker specific? The only way I will ever be able to sew an edge straight is with a helluva guide. I saw one on Vaja cases website once- looked like a cartridge bearing off to the left side of what looked like a sewing foot with only one "fork" on the right side of the needle. I'm guessing the work would roll freely along the bearing while still allowing for tight turns and maintaining a really nice straight edge.

Does this make any sense and if so can anyone point me in the right direction?

I tried to sew a straight line the first time I sat down at my machine and I think I was concentrating pretty hard but since I was screaming at the top of my lungs in terror at the speed of the thing it was hard to tell...all I know is that it was NOT straight.

Thanks!

Snap

I tried to sew a straight line the first time I sat down at my machine and I think I was concentrating pretty hard but since I was screaming at the top of my lungs in terror at the speed of the thing it was hard to tell...all I know is that it was NOT straight.

Snap:

What I'm finding out about industrial sewing machines is that most have a clutch motor. The motor runs all the time, so when you hit the pedal it takes off. I have seen speed reducers but they are costly. What I might try on mine is a smaller pulley on the motor. Going from a 3" to an 1-1/2" pulley should slow the speed down to about 1/3.

Can't help you with the feet.

Two words - "servo motor". Adjustable dial for top end motor speed. More control for me at low speed too.

SNAP, SOME TIMES A RUBBER BALL ,THE RIGHT SIZE PLACED UNDER THE FOOT CONTROL WILL HELP YOU TO MAINTAIN AN EVEN SPEED, ALSO I REPLACED THE PULLEY ON MY SEWMO 205-370 AND IT SLOWED THE MACHINE DOWN TO A DECENT SPEED.

Edited by Luke Hatley

I agree about the servo motor! I hated the clutch motor from day one! I love my machine now.

And when I first started, I just stuck a long piece of duct tape on the bed of the machine as a guide, and ran my sewing edge along that tape. It's "adjustable" to whatever width you wanna sew, too!

Another trick I learned was to use 2 bobbins - one on top instead of the big spool, and one in the machine. That way, when the top thread is running low, you know the bobbin is running low, too, and you can keep from running out of thread in the middle of a seam.

Thanks for all of the great tips. I am looking at the servo motors and they seem like a really great idea what with the speed control knob. And compared to servos for our CNC mill the price seems reasonable.

Hilly- does the duct tape stand up enough off of the surface for the leather- or do you use that as a visual aid only? The bearing guide I am looking for allows you to press the edge against it and roll the piece along.

In all honesty, I should probably learn to sew properly without help, and then when that is mastered go ahead and look for mechanical aids. That being said, I will probably keep looking for any and all help I can get. :yes:

I think what you want is called edge quide.

Image.jpg

These have the drop down edge.

Image2.jpg

These attach to the table of mach.

post-897-1213677286_thumb.jpg

post-897-1213677304_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all of the great tips. I am looking at the servo motors and they seem like a really great idea what with the speed control knob. And compared to servos for our CNC mill the price seems reasonable.

Hilly- does the duct tape stand up enough off of the surface for the leather- or do you use that as a visual aid only? The bearing guide I am looking for allows you to press the edge against it and roll the piece along.

In all honesty, I should probably learn to sew properly without help, and then when that is mastered go ahead and look for mechanical aids. That being said, I will probably keep looking for any and all help I can get. :yes:

You will not regret getting a servo motor! I used to absolutely dread sewing with my industrial machine for the same reasons you stated. The thing was either full stop, or full speed!

No, the duct tape does not stand up, you just stick a hunk on the bed of your machine to use as a visual aid. If you want a 1/2" seam allowance you place the tape 1/2" away from where the needle goes through the bed of the machine, etc. After a short time, you'll be able to just eyeball the proper distance from the needle to the edge of your work.

My suggestion to you is to practice, practice and more practice using scrap or heavy fabrics, such as heavy canvas or go buy some really cheap, heavy upholstery fabric, or ugly vinyl off the clearance table at your local fabric store. Practice sewing straight seams. Then when you get the feel for that, practice curves going both directions. Practice sewing with one hand, while holding down the manual reverse button with the other (back stitching). Also, if you get a servo motor, practice starting and stopping the machine exactly where you want it, with the needle in the down position, through your fabric/leather. That way, if you lift the foot, the fabric won't accidentally come out from under the needle, and your seams will remain neater looking. Learn to use the knee lift, but do NOT rest your leg against it while sewing.

You'll learn much quicker than you think you can, but you will need to work at it a bit. Most of all quit holding your breath! :) RELAX and enjoy your learning experience. Laugh at your mistakes. Learn from them. Take your time, when you feel anxious, stop, get up, and go get a glass of water, or just take a break. Take time to think about it, and then go back and sew a little more. Before you know it, you'll sew like a pro!

Okay, I'll shut up now and let you go ogle the servo motors :crazy:

I think what you want is called edge quide.

Image.jpg

These have the drop down edge.

Image2.jpg

These attach to the table of mach.

Yep, it's somothing like that- only difference is that it had a circular bearing instead of a solid guide mounted to the table. I have a picture I took with my phone off of the website...but I hesitate to post since it's off another website! :)

In the meantime I am looking at a servo motor and will probably ask you guys to give me your thoughts on the size for my machine before I purchase. I think the one I was lookin at was 3/4 hp? Around $125?

You will not regret getting a servo motor! I used to absolutely dread sewing with my industrial machine for the same reasons you stated. The thing was either full stop, or full speed!

No, the duct tape does not stand up, you just stick a hunk on the bed of your machine to use as a visual aid. If you want a 1/2" seam allowance you place the tape 1/2" away from where the needle goes through the bed of the machine, etc. After a short time, you'll be able to just eyeball the proper distance from the needle to the edge of your work.

My suggestion to you is to practice, practice and more practice using scrap or heavy fabrics, such as heavy canvas or go buy some really cheap, heavy upholstery fabric, or ugly vinyl off the clearance table at your local fabric store. Practice sewing straight seams. Then when you get the feel for that, practice curves going both directions. Practice sewing with one hand, while holding down the manual reverse button with the other (back stitching). Also, if you get a servo motor, practice starting and stopping the machine exactly where you want it, with the needle in the down position, through your fabric/leather. That way, if you lift the foot, the fabric won't accidentally come out from under the needle, and your seams will remain neater looking. Learn to use the knee lift, but do NOT rest your leg against it while sewing.

You'll learn much quicker than you think you can, but you will need to work at it a bit. Most of all quit holding your breath! :) RELAX and enjoy your learning experience. Laugh at your mistakes. Learn from them. Take your time, when you feel anxious, stop, get up, and go get a glass of water, or just take a break. Take time to think about it, and then go back and sew a little more. Before you know it, you'll sew like a pro!

Okay, I'll shut up now and let you go ogle the servo motors :crazy:

I'm going to get that servo ordered next week and will be devoting at least a few hours a day to practice, practice, and more practice. It's hard to breath normal when shreaking in fear but I will do my best. Hopefully the servo will help with the speed thing. I think it will. Then I can get to it. I hope you're right and I can learn this stuff- I would LOVE the ability to get what is in my head...out. :)

I ordered the servo yesterday!

Thanks to everyone here for the suggestions- this board really rocks.

RYan