Sign in to follow this  
Mike Craw

What's A Gig Saddle?

My buddy Carlos called me from the Rancho No Tengo saddle shop with a question. He was looking through the Weaver catalog and one type of leather was described as being good for Gig saddles. He never heard of them and neither have I. Can anybody give us a clue?

Mike

Edited by Mike Craw

Mike. A Gig in this context is a light 2 wheel carriage so a gig saddle is a harness saddle. To this saddle a back band is attached to connect the shaft tugs to. These tugs hold up the shafts of the carriage. On top of the saddle are 2 terrets. These a rings to guide the reins from the bit to the driver.

In the attached picture, the gig saddle is on the left of the railing and on the right side of the bridle/winkers.

Barra

post-1669-078750500 1321139967_thumb.jpe

Mike. A Gig in this context is a light 2 wheel carriage so a gig saddle is a harness saddle. To this saddle a back band is attached to connect the shaft tugs to. These tugs hold up the shafts of the carriage. On top of the saddle are 2 terrets. These a rings to guide the reins from the bit to the driver.

In the attached picture, the gig saddle is on the left of the railing and on the right side of the bridle/winkers.

Barra

Hey Barra!

Man that was quick!! Thanks so much for the information.

Mike