MartyS

How Is Embossed Leather Made In The Factory?

Can someone please tell me the process used to make embossed leathers.

For example on a fullgrain crocodile embossed hide form tandy"

Do they use 2 rollers with male and female embossing die patterns cut into each roller?

Is it a wet or dry process?

Is there some kind of resin treatment to help the leather hold the shape.

Are the dye put on with silk screen? ink jet? by hand?

Do the dye,s and other treatments go before or after the embossing/

inquiring minds want to know.

thanks M

I was once told about a facility, in Italy I believe, where large volumes of hides were embossed whole. If I remeber correctly, once the hides were tanned, then wringed they were moved 5-6 at a time onto an embossing platten that rose up from the floor and traveled upward into the actual embossing plate that was suspended from the ceiling. Once pressed they would go back down and the next platten of hides would come up. Once embossed they would then go staight into a huge drying room where they would also be prepared for delivery. This is my recollection of how it was explained to me. I wish I still had contact with the person who told me about this.....I would try to get more info....sorry.

I always assumed it was done with a roll, but I got a surprise when I toured Wickett and Craig. The plate is wide enough for a side of leather , but only about 2 ft deep. They press the 2 ft and move the leather in and press the next 2 ft and so on 'til it's done. That takes some skill.

Kevin