CSnap

Leather Tapestry/wallhanging

Hello all,

I have been a silent member of this community for a short while now and appreciate all the information shared here. Now I have a question to add to the roster as I haven't found the answer on the forums. I apologize if I missed it.

My husband and I want to tool a leather wall hanging, but are unsure about the type/weight of leather for this. We want it to hang nicely and not fight the wall by curling in or away from it yet still be strong enough to accept tooling. Any suggestions?

5 to 6 oz. might be slightly heavy, depending on how large you want this wall hanging, but lighter than the heavy stuff, yet heavier than the light stuff.

Hello all,

I have been a silent member of this community for a short while now and appreciate all the information shared here. Now I have a question to add to the roster as I haven't found the answer on the forums. I apologize if I missed it.

My husband and I want to tool a leather wall hanging, but are unsure about the type/weight of leather for this. We want it to hang nicely and not fight the wall by curling in or away from it yet still be strong enough to accept tooling. Any suggestions?

1325065461[/url]' post='226441']

Hello all,

Depending on size, I would do like a number of wall hangings that have a rod through both the top and bottom. The bottom rod will help keep it flat against the wall. I think you will probably get some curl on the sides. With thin material, depending on the type and amount of stamping, you will need to be careful to prevent any stretching so the leather will lay flat when finished. I have seen a photo of a large leather wall hanging done with pyrography where it was stretched and supported by lacing to a rustic frame like a dream catcher style, only much larger.

Happy New Year

Thank you both, I appreciate your responses.

I had thought about putting wrought iron rods top and bottom, but was hoping to have the bottom hang free. I guess time will tell.

Happy New Year in kind. :)