raysouth

Thread

Need to learn about thread for machine sewing. New venture with new machine and have hno idea about composition and sources for thread.

Holsters, belts, small cases, etc; will be my primary items for sewing. What is the strongest, the best, and how many different types are available?

And, of course, who gives the best service and good pricing?

All helping hands sincerely appreciated.

Need to learn about thread for machine sewing. New venture with new machine and have hno idea about composition and sources for thread.

Holsters, belts, small cases, etc; will be my primary items for sewing. What is the strongest, the best, and how many different types are available?

And, of course, who gives the best service and good pricing?

All helping hands sincerely appreciated.

I found this size guide helpful. http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TTE&Category_Code=nylon-thread Size will probably be determined by your machine, so post what kind you have and you will get better info.

Thank you for the thread information. Machine is a Cobra 4 from Leather Machine Company.

I found this size guide helpful. http://www.thethread...de=nylon-thread Size will probably be determined by your machine, so post what kind you have and you will get better info.

Thank you for the thread information. Machine is a Cobra 4 from Leather Machine Company.

I think most people use the bonded nylon and that is what Cobra Steve recommends. size 138 is the smallest (I think) and 207, 277 and 346 for the larger size thread. I just ordered some thread from the above co I linked and I was able to get some smaller bobbins of thread cheaper on some colors I wont use very much.

Hello Scary,

Again, thank you for the information. The thread site is great and from what I am learning from my searches, their prices are very good as well.

Now all I have to do is wait until the machine arrives and see if I can make it work. That should be an interesting ordeal. So much to learn and so little time to do it. Hope I live to be a 1000. lol.

God Bless.

Ray aka Helmut

I think most people use the bonded nylon and that is what Cobra Steve recommends. size 138 is the smallest (I think) and 207, 277 and 346 for the larger size thread. I just ordered some thread from the above co I linked and I was able to get some smaller bobbins of thread cheaper on some colors I wont use very much.

Hello Scary,

Again, thank you for the information. The thread site is great and from what I am learning from my searches, their prices are very good as well.

Now all I have to do is wait until the machine arrives and see if I can make it work. That should be an interesting ordeal. So much to learn and so little time to do it. Hope I live to be a 1000. lol.

God Bless.

Ray aka Helmut

Well I know how you feel. I just got my class 4 a little over a month ago. Never having used a sewing machine before I thought It'd be difficult. I am not very good so far but am getting better. I wish there were classes to take for learning how to sew and different techniques instead of trial and error. If you knock your machine out of time (and you will) call Steve and have him talk you thru it. He's a great guy and trust me you need to be walked thru it. There are small details that you dont quite get in the video.

Good luck with the machine.

rHey Scary,

Again you gave me some information. Out of time? Okay, I will now have to become a techy as well. Ouch!!

I agree about classes. Nothing in my area and nobody nearby to go to to get the education that would be beneficial for a newbie. I have a friend that is an upholsterer and he said he will give me a few pointers but the projects he works with are all very light weight and mostly vinyl and cloth. Some of the tips should be worthwhile, or at least I hope that will be the end result.

Soon we will be entering a new year and best of everything to you and everyone else. Pray that it is better than the last.

Keep in touch if you care to.

God Bless.

Ray

Well I know how you feel. I just got my class 4 a little over a month ago. Never having used a sewing machine before I thought It'd be difficult. I am not very good so far but am getting better. I wish there were classes to take for learning how to sew and different techniques instead of trial and error. If you knock your machine out of time (and you will) call Steve and have him talk you thru it. He's a great guy and trust me you need to be walked thru it. There are small details that you dont quite get in the video.

Good luck with the machine.

Edited by Helmut

Hi Helmut. When speaking of sewing machines and timing, timing is the order and speed the various processes of the machine occur. Such as when the feed dogs move, when the bobbin moves, then the needle punches and when it lifts, when gears turn and stop and what direction they turn in, and when each of the threads is looped, moved, pulled, or tightened. Out of time means something is out of whack, so everything goes goofy and the stitches are bunched or not locked, or the durn machine simply won't stitch at all and may even lock up and seize entirely (gee, I seem familiar with this problem, don't I?). When it's out of time, some adjustments are needed to get everything working properly again.

Hi Helmut. When speaking of sewing machines and timing, timing is the order and speed the various processes of the machine occur. Such as when the feed dogs move, when the bobbin moves, then the needle punches and when it lifts, when gears turn and stop and what direction they turn in, and when each of the threads is looped, moved, pulled, or tightened. Out of time means something is out of whack, so everything goes goofy and the stitches are bunched or not locked, or the durn machine simply won't stitch at all and may even lock up and seize entirely (gee, I seem familiar with this problem, don't I?). When it's out of time, some adjustments are needed to get everything working properly again.

Try this linc http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TTE&Category_Code=nylon-thread

Where in the South-East are you located!?

if you would be sorta close, You would be more then wecome

to come to the shop and pratice some on my old

Machines.....as you all mentioned....it is a pain to learn by

trail and error....guess how I know that!!!

There is plenty of help here...Steve, Bob, Wiz and many more....

but nothing beats hands on, sitting down doing it while somebody is beside you....!!!

And for a funny reason, these machines will brake

if you do somehing not-so-smart...haha...

What machine will you be getting!?

Keep us posted

Jimbob

Hey Winterbear,

I learned a bit more and suppose I must prepare myself for the events that will surely take place. Murphy, I am sure, is probably hanging around the neighborhood so I assume he will invoke his usual law.

Ray

Hey Jimbob,

I am in Big Swamp, Alabama, commonly known by its modernized name of Opelika, Al., just next to Auburn. Wish I were close to a leathercrafter but haven't been lucky enough to find any in this immediate area.

Thank you for extending an offer and wish I could accept

Ray

Where in the South-East are you located!?

if you would be sorta close, You would be more then wecome

to come to the shop and pratice some on my old

Machines.....as you all mentioned....it is a pain to learn by

trail and error....guess how I know that!!!

There is plenty of help here...Steve, Bob, Wiz and many more....

but nothing beats hands on, sitting down doing it while somebody is beside you....!!!

And for a funny reason, these machines will brake

if you do somehing not-so-smart...haha...

What machine will you be getting!?

Keep us posted

Jimbob

YEah, Murphy is always hanging around, and he's got a real mean sense of humor.

Let's just say you'll probably want to know if there is someone nearby who can fix the timing, or where to send it if it jams, and you'll want to know it before your machine does jam up. The good news is, as you become more familiar with your machine, timing issues are usually less of a problem.

Edited by WinterBear