BenB

Hello From Va

Greetings, everyone. I'm very new to the leather world but am trying to learn as fast as I can. To be honest, leather wasn't on my mind much until recently, and now a seemingly random string of events has me thinking about leather most of the day. Long story short: my wife left her day job; I kept mine and set out to help run her art business in the evenings and on weekends. She was asked to help produce a video for a local artist. This same artist needed a little help with his computer and website. So my wife and I used our experience in these areas to complement the skills of Paul and Karen Burnett.

Now we're learning to carve, skive, stamp, and paint leather. I must say that I have a whole new perspective of what can be done with leather. The work I’ve seen in the past few months, both in person and on these forums, has amazed me. Despite my lifelong lack of any artistic skill, I hope to one day produce my own leather work as a hobby, but my current focus is to help run a couple different businesses. Obviously, one key part of this is learning the craft, and that’s why I’m here.

I’ve been lurking at the forums for a while and decided it was time to join up and start contributing. This is a big and vibrant community that has already taught me so much. I look forward to learning more!

Welcome to LW BenB:grouphug5vj5:

Hi BenB from VT. I have learned so much and saved so many documents on here, or copied and pasted help I've been given into a folder. There was a man who started writing up lessons here on carving, painting, and stamping before he took ill and couldn't finish. I found the initial lessons and saved them and read all three, and the one thing that stuck in my head (sorry, they aren't signed but I can give you mine, I forgot his name, I've heard so many famous leatherworkers names on here) was this, taken from the painting sheet : 'Painting is like eating, it's something you teach yourself to do.'

I hope he's right because I'm trying to teach myself a lot of new things at one time which probably isn't good but I'm having a lot of fun at it. I wish for you the same. Cheryl

Thanks for the welcome!

There was a man who started writing up lessons here on carving, painting, and stamping before he took ill and couldn't finish. ... 'Painting is like eating, it's something you teach yourself to do.'

Yep, that's Paul, my mentor. His illness prevents him from teaching me much beyond how to run his business, but having access to his teaching materials is very helpful. I haven't even attempted a "brand new" piece of work or even followed one of his step-by-step instructions yet. Aside from my day job and helping Paul with technical stuff, my focus has been on cutting out and skiving pre-stamped patterns that my wife then paints. One of these days, I'll find time to move on to something more creative.

Edited by BenB

Thanks for the welcome!

Yep, that's Paul, my mentor. His illness prevents him from teaching me much beyond how to run his business, but having access to his teaching materials is very helpful. I haven't even attempted a "brand new" piece of work or even followed one of his step-by-step instructions yet. Aside from my day job and helping Paul with technical stuff, my focus has been on cutting out and skiving pre-stamped patterns that my wife then paints. One of these days, I'll find time to move on to something more creative.

You're very lucky I think if you like leatherwork. Just the intros I got from his series has inspired me. Please thank him for me. Cheryl