Sign in to follow this  
wildhorsehans

New from NH

Howdy all,

Name is Hans, but go by Wild Horse Hans for a SASS alias. Been shooting SASS for about a year now and am planning on moving up to mounted shooting.

I have a BLM Mustang and the Wife has a 1/2 Mustang 1/2 Pinto.

I am very active as a volunteer for the BLM Wild Horse and Burro program.

As I love the old West and Cowboy Shooting, leather work sort of seemed like the next step. I was into R/C Scale planes, but am now selling them off to buy horse and leather stuff and to get the shop emptied out so I can get a leather shop put in.

My big dream is to make saddles and maybe make them to fit Mustangs. They have a weird shape let me tell you! I have a saddle that fit every horse it has ever been on, but not Vinny. way to wide in the front and to low in the gullet. Sets right down on top of his withers.

I was able to find a sadle to fit him and I do like it, but really would love to find patterns for authentic old West designs.

Anyways, great to be here and I hope I don't ask too many rookie questions!

hans

Anyways, great to be here and I hope I don't ask too many rookie questions!

Hans, we'll be sure to let you know when you've hit your limit for rookie questions. Then, we'll start charging you, so have your credit card ready. :lol:(Just kidding, of course!)

Anyway, we're glad you found us, and please fire away with any and all questions. We've got a good group of folks who can be very helpful on saddle questions.

:welcome: -Alex

Thanks much for the welcome! I am really looking forward to getting going in leathercraft.

The first thing I plan on making is the cartridge belt from Quigley Down Under as my SASS costume is pretty much that. I even had my hat made by the same gent that made the one for the movie. Hat is the one in my avatar and the horse is my BLM Mustang Vinny.

The Wife bought me a Quigley Sharps rifle for my birthday last year. Man what a rifle! Heavy, long and can knock the wings off a fly at 500 yards! :yes:

Anyway I got the leather, buckle and am working on a pattern right now. I took a bunch of still shots from the movie and think I can size things about right. We'll see.

Wild horse Hans......welcome .get going on that cartridge belt,gotta have some Cowboy stuff to gander over

i dont have a Sharps, but i would not take nothing for my Rolling Block .45-70.

sass #26182.... Cactus Luke.........18th century & Cowboying

"no one gave me this black eye...i fought for it"

Wild horse Hans......welcome .get going on that cartridge belt,gotta have some Cowboy stuff to gander over

i dont have a Sharps, but i would not take nothing for my Rolling Block .45-70.

sass #26182.... Cactus Luke.........18th century & Cowboying

"no one gave me this black eye...i fought for it"

Always good to meet a new pard. The ole rolling block is also a great rifle!

Plan on getting started on the belt this weekend. I roughed out a pattern and it looks about right. I made it a bit thinner as I have 45-70s and not the 45-120s like Quigley had so I thought shorter rounds would look a bit weird with the real wide belt.

You have been a SASS member for awhile huh. I'm #76932 and Wife is #76933. She goes by Avenging Annie. Best group of people I have met in a long time. Real cowboy code folks.

Well happy trails pard.

Hans