mmirob

Holsters W/ Inlay Overlay

I thought I would share my first few tries at inlay overlay. I was fortunate to get some tips from the famed "Randy and Claudia" who live nearby. They are true inlay artists!

This is a simple star pattern but I may elaborate later with more details and pieces if I think they would ever sell. They are a fun change of pace and indeed unique. First is black shark with brown shark inlay. Second is black elephant with brandy ostrich inlay. Feel free to leave a comment good bad or indifferent. Also share an inlay on a holster you have made so I can get more ideas to try! Happy new year!

Rob

post-13859-071944200 1326074150_thumb.jp

post-13859-067633900 1326074170_thumb.jp

Rob, those came out great! Nice work for sure. I especially like the shark one.

I thought I would share my first few tries at inlay overlay. I was fortunate to get some tips from the famed "Randy and Claudia" who live nearby. They are true inlay artists!

This is a simple star pattern but I may elaborate later with more details and pieces if I think they would ever sell. They are a fun change of pace and indeed unique. First is black shark with brown shark inlay. Second is black elephant with brandy ostrich inlay. Feel free to leave a comment good bad or indifferent. Also share an inlay on a holster you have made so I can get more ideas to try! Happy new year!

Rob

From the old grump; I've done a few, so here are a few ideas I came up with. Mike;

Karung Snake in a transport holster for a Ruger Mk I:

006-2-1.jpg

Ostrich Shin leather in a 1911 'Wild Bunch' style:

002-4.jpg

An agate arrowhead in a branded 'Tom Threeperson' style holster for a S&W K frame.

005-3.jpg

Edited by katsass

I like both of them! I havnt tried an inlay yet..I need to give it a shot! No pun intended:) So… Question.. Did you cut out the shape, and glue the inlay..Then stitch it? Next carry on like normal..? Thanks for sharing!

I like both of them! I havnt tried an inlay yet..I need to give it a shot! No pun intended:) So… Question.. Did you cut out the shape, and glue the inlay..Then stitch it? Next carry on like normal..? Thanks for sharing!

From the old grump; Inlay leathers are generally pretty thin, so they need to be backed up with some heavier leather. I make most all of my holsters from two layers of lighter leather than is normally used. They are bonded together on their flesh sides, producing the equivalent weight of a single thickness of heavier leather. I do this for a variety of reasons.For inlays, I cut the area out and tack the inlay to the inside of the top piece (the outer shell) with just a few spots of contact cement, then stitch the inlay down . That piece is then bonded (glued) to the inner shell. The inlay is thus 'sandwiched' between the two layers After that,.things proceed as normal, except that all edges must be stitched. Mike

NOTE: Draw your inlay pattern on your cutting pattern and mark it prior to cutting. You'll play hell trying to align it if drawn separately.

Edited by katsass

Yes, cut out, skive the edges, glue then stitch. On the ostrich, since is is considerably thinner, I took the cut out skived the edges and glued it back in its original place so the ostrich would "dome" then stitch. I also use #69 thread on the inlay I felt like the inlay should be thinner than the #277 I use on the rest of the holster. (opinion only, both obviously work)

Thanks,

Rob

Yes, cut out, skive the edges, glue then stitch. On the ostrich, since is is considerably thinner, I took the cut out skived the edges and glued it back in its original place so the ostrich would "dome" then stitch. I also use #69 thread on the inlay I felt like the inlay should be thinner than the #277 I use on the rest of the holster. (opinion only, both obviously work)

Thanks,

Rob

FWIW from the grump; I'll defer to Rob on the machine stitching since I don't know beans about that. I hand stitch everything I do and use either 5 cord or 7 cord waxed linen for stitching, depending more on the size of the rig (and shooter) than anything else. Mike