hornm

New Member Portland, Oregon

Popped in quite a few times recently so I figured I'd sign up today.

Basic background. I'm actually here because I took up wetshaving with a straight razor a little over 3years ago and in that process have picked up a few nice strops. Had some medical leave from work at the end of the summer and was wanting to try making stops of my own. I found the Tandy here in PDX as well as the Oregon Leather down town (along with quite a few decent online vendors).

Originally I didn't really have any interest in doing anything else but after visitin both local stores my interest really began to grow regarding other aspects of leatherworking especially carving. Also I'm hoping to pick up a motorcycle sometime (probably next summer) so the idea of some decent custom saddlebags has my brain going as well.

Anyway. That's the long and short of it. Like to wish everyone well and say thank you for sharing what you know with the rest of us.

Michael

Bobby Rose is teaching a holster class at Tandy the end of this month. Even if holsters are not your thing,you will learn a lot in a short time. He is on here too, paooibly he will chime in.

Aaron

Edited by electrathon

Bobby Rose is teaching a holster class at Tandy the end of this month. Even if holsters are not your thing,you will learn a lot in a short time. He is on here too, paooibly he will chime in.

Aaron

Great Thanks! I'll have to look into getting over that way for the class. I knew Tandy did some classes but wasn't sure as to what kind of schedule they had. I'll have to check out the website and get hold of the Portland store

Welcome to leather crafting. Hope that we can meet someday in person. The great thing about Portland and SW Washington it that there are so many leather crafters around and they are so willing to share and work with each other. We are very fortunate that we have two great stores in the area with great service.

I have been talking around and there seems to be a general consensus that we need a leather guild in the area. This would give us all the opportunity to meet each other and to share more in leather crafting. We need to find someone who can act as a contact person to help get this started. I can't do it with the work load and the out of town travel. The contact person would be someone who can field questions as to meeting times and place, general information as to what the guild will be, and initial sign up. I can help with marketing and getting the word out.

Any one in the Eugene Oregon to Longview Washington area interested in this idea, or have suggestions?

Bobby R

Dont mss the leather show every fall in Pendelton, OR. It's worth the drive. Sponsored by Ferdco, it's in November. Great place to buy used tools, pick up leather at bargain prices, and socialize etc. They also offer GREAT CLASSES on all sorts of subjects.

I agree that Holster making will teach you many aspects of leather craft. Carving, pattern making, hand sewing, working with different finishes, etc. I recommend you subscribe to the Leathercrafter & Saddler's Journal as well as Shop Talk magazines. It's an inexpensive way to learn more about leatherwork and be continually inspired. The magazines also keep you abreast of events, etc. Oregon Leather co is a great store. Their scrap bin downstairs is full of good stuff, and you can buy Herman Oak scrap by the pound upstairs.

I live in hawaii but when I visit family in the Portland area I ALWAYS go to Oregon Leather. Hand selecting leather sure is nice. Out here in Hawaii we usually have to trust the person on the other end of the phone, and there's some good folks out there to do business with.

Aloha and welcome to the forum.

Gretchen

Welcome to leather crafting. Hope that we can meet someday in person. The great thing about Portland and SW Washington it that there are so many leather crafters around and they are so willing to share and work with each other. We are very fortunate that we have two great stores in the area with great service.

I have been talking around and there seems to be a general consensus that we need a leather guild in the area. This would give us all the opportunity to meet each other and to share more in leather crafting. We need to find someone who can act as a contact person to help get this started. I can't do it with the work load and the out of town travel. The contact person would be someone who can field questions as to meeting times and place, general information as to what the guild will be, and initial sign up. I can help with marketing and getting the word out.

Any one in the Eugene Oregon to Longview Washington area interested in this idea, or have suggestions?

Bobby R

Thanks. Hopefully I'll be able to make it up to Tandy for your class. I'll see what I can do but unfortunately I am a slave to TriMet :( I'm interested in the guild as well. I would love to help out with that however I could so if you have anything I could help with let me know.

Thanks again,

Michael

Dont mss the leather show every fall in Pendelton, OR. It's worth the drive. Sponsored by Ferdco, it's in November. Great place to buy used tools, pick up leather at bargain prices, and socialize etc. They also offer GREAT CLASSES on all sorts of subjects.

I agree that Holster making will teach you many aspects of leather craft. Carving, pattern making, hand sewing, working with different finishes, etc. I recommend you subscribe to the Leathercrafter & Saddler's Journal as well as Shop Talk magazines. It's an inexpensive way to learn more about leatherwork and be continually inspired. The magazines also keep you abreast of events, etc. Oregon Leather co is a great store. Their scrap bin downstairs is full of good stuff, and you can buy Herman Oak scrap by the pound upstairs.

I live in hawaii but when I visit family in the Portland area I ALWAYS go to Oregon Leather. Hand selecting leather sure is nice. Out here in Hawaii we usually have to trust the person on the other end of the phone, and there's some good folks out there to do business with.

Aloha and welcome to the forum.

Gretchen

Too bad I hadn't gotten started a few years ago. I lived near Pendleton in Hermiston for about 4 years. Then again that was almost 15 years ago.

I'll check out the magazines, never would have thought of doing that. Also the advice on the Oregon Leather scrap bin. I've only been there once and that was just to get some hardware for strops.

Michael

Welcome to the forum.