Nathan Horn

How Do You Do A "nevada" Twist?

So, I understand the whole idea of wrapping the latigo around the stirrup leathers, but I don't know how you "tie" the ends off so that they are tight and won't come loose. Just wondering if anybody had some pictures of how the ends are dealt with. It would be a big help. thanks a bunch. God Bless

i would have shared the pics i have...but they 're not of a great help

not easy to explain that by pics

maybe one of our "big bad" saddle maker around will have a tutorial for that ;)

OK, I'll try to explain how I do it. Not neccessasarily how others do it, or for that matter the best way, just how I do it. I wrap them the same way that folks wrap the string at the end of a fishing rod to secure an "eye". You take a piece of stitching thread double it and lay it the length of the area that you are going to wrap with a couple or inches sticking out past where you are wrapping. Then you take a piece of wet/saddle soaped leather about 3/16" wide and 5-6 oz., or there-abouts, and start your wrap with the "loop" or closed end of the string at the opposite end from where you start the wrap. First you take about 5" or 6" of your wrapping lace (tail) and lay it along side the string you have put down with the end up next to the loop of the string . Now wrap your leather lace around between 5 to 10 times, (the amount depends on what you prefer and how much room you have in the area you are wrapping). when you get to the last wrap, you put the end you are wrapping with through the loop of the thread and pull on the thread to pull the lead end of the wrap leather under the wrap you have just accomplished and pull it through till it is snug along the side of the original tail you laid down at the beginning. I know this sounds confusing, but; in my mind it is perfectly clear, problem is I sometimes have a hard time explaining what I am doing!! Bottom line it is easy, and with a little practice you will become proficient. At first it seems you need about 14 fingers on each hand to do this, but; with practice, that will decrease to the 5 that you were born with! In other words get a friend or "Mate" to help you. Start out with a piece of wood dowel approximately the same dia. as the stirrup when twisted, and about 10" long. This will give you a solid base to practice on and make it easier for you to achieve the results you want. Also once yu get good at wrapping and pulling the tail under and snug, you may want to "fold" the lace at the start and ending so it will pull up clean and neat, but; get the wrapping down first, then getting it perfect will be a matter of practice. The wet leather will shrink to tighten it up as it dries.

I hope this helps. Like I said, others may do it differently, I just like the finished result when I do it this way. Here is a pic.

Bob

post-8161-088816300 1326727734_thumb.jpg

Bob, I think I'm getting the idea of what you are describing, (which I know is easier said than done). So, are the two tails tucked under the wraps then? I guess that's the one thing I've been trying to find out is how the tails are dealt with.

Nate, the answer is yes. If you look at the pics in the links that Denise added you will see that in all but one case that is how it is done. The other being a sleeve instead of a wrap, which is also a way that the twist is accomplished. I have also seen some saddles where once the twisted leather has dried and set, they leave no wrap at all. If you look closely at the pic in my post you will see that the tails are not yet cut off, and how they come out under the wrap. Last step is to cut the tails off flush with the last wrap before they exit out from underneath the wraps.

Bob