DSJackson

Questions About Latigo Leather

I recently bought a side of 8-10oz strap grade latigo from Tandy and as I'm still so new at this I had a couple of questions. Item can be found at this link: http://www.tandyleatherfactory.ca/en-cad/search/searchresults/9056-05.aspx

1) It's vegtan latigo, I was wondering if vegtan latigo edges will burnish?

2) Can it be wetformed as tooling leather can be?

3) Would this be an adequate leather for a fixed blade knife sheath?

I use this stuff fairly regular for bike gear and bridle repairs - still a newbie but offer the following

I've managed to burnish it to a certain extent and fiebings edge dye *seems* to work well - haven't had any bad results yet but I doubt it has soaked in much - time will tell

Not in my experience - the deep oil prep of it means it won't soak up the moisture required, nor will it stay glued with contact cement - it'll stick well and long enough to anchor it for stitching but not long term

Not if it needs to be formed (see above) but if it's a flat stitched sheath maybe - have no idea whether the chemicals in the oil treatment of it would harm the blade tho? It would certainly last a long time ;0)

This is definitely a utilitarian leather, not a pretty leather ;0)

Hope this helps

Rob

Edited by McJeep

I recently bought a side of 8-10oz strap grade latigo from Tandy and as I'm still so new at this I had a couple of questions. Item can be found at this link: http://www.tandyleat...ts/9056-05.aspx

I use RM Williams conditioner all over the piece and burnish edges with canvas cloth. It leaves a pretty good edge. I have also used the Tandys new conditioner, it works pretty well too.

I have not tried to wet form, as stated before by someone else I don't think it will stay because of oil content of the leather.

It will make a durable knife sheath, if it is a fixed blade be sure and install a welt to protect the stitches.

I recently bought a side of 8-10oz strap grade latigo from Tandy and as I'm still so new at this I had a couple of questions. Item can be found at this link: http://www.tandyleat...ts/9056-05.aspx

I work with heavy latigo all the time. I edge and burnish all the edges with gum tragacanth. You can use either canvas or I most recently have been using a wood burnisher from Spinner on a dremel. If you do it right, you can get a slick, shiny edge. I am also trying some Wyo Quik Slik form Sheridan leather (check out the banner ads.....no website yet). I get the same to better results on latigo with it. Don't even bother with beeswax...it won't penetrate into the leather.

No wet forming as it is pretty water resistant

I would use a different leather. I'm not sure what the leather might do to a knife blade over time. The color of burgundy tends to run and bleed out if it gets wet....that might stain the wood on a handle. I use veg tan for sheaths.