EzGravy

What Options On A Henley

Hi Everyone,

New to the party and just getting started. I've read several books and done a fair amount of research on the net. Now I'm ready to actually start acquiring some tools and get started making some coasters to build some skill. I think I'm going to order a Henley knife, but I'm confused on what options to start with. I know this stuff is very subjective, but I would appreciate any input anyone has.

Apparently, the Henley knife is available in 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8. Also available in 2 lengths, 1 1/2 and 2 inches. Throw in 6 different blades and fine or medium knurl and you have about ....well, I don't know how many variations, but heck of a lot. So for a total newbie with ZERO experience, which one? Since it appears to me a persons physical attributes may come into play here, I should mention I'm your average schmoe. Average height, weight, fingers, and hands. So any input is greatly appreciated. Why would I want a 2" knife over a 1.5" knife? Which blades are good for what?

Thanks! This site is a great resource.

Hi Everyone,

New to the party and just getting started. I've read several books and done a fair amount of research on the net. Now I'm ready to actually start acquiring some tools and get started making some coasters to build some skill. I think I'm going to order a Henley knife, but I'm confused on what options to start with. I know this stuff is very subjective, but I would appreciate any input anyone has.

Apparently, the Henley knife is available in 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8. Also available in 2 lengths, 1 1/2 and 2 inches. Throw in 6 different blades and fine or medium knurl and you have about ....well, I don't know how many variations, but heck of a lot. So for a total newbie with ZERO experience, which one? Since it appears to me a persons physical attributes may come into play here, I should mention I'm your average schmoe. Average height, weight, fingers, and hands. So any input is greatly appreciated. Why would I want a 2" knife over a 1.5" knife? Which blades are good for what?

Thanks! This site is a great resource.

You're right in assessing that it's really personal- BUT- we've all been where you are and we ALL have 3 or more knives now!!! We end up with a favorite and still use the others though.

My suggestion would be to get a 3/8 or 7/16 barrel for control, straight lines and ease of turning tight corners, and a 3/4 angled blade. Knife work is paramount in good tooling, and the knife seems to be a hurdle for most all beginners. Part of the problem is maintaining the proper forward slant while cutting. I have NEVER been comfortable with a straight blade regardless of its length. The angle blade makes it easier to keep your hand relatively vertical as the tip is digging in already.

Practice curves and circles, short strokes, etc. Scrap leather is cheap and you will get better really fast- and learn when it's properly cased at the same time!!!!!!!!!!

You're right in assessing that it's really personal- BUT- we've all been where you are and we ALL have 3 or more knives now!!! We end up with a favorite and still use the others though.

My suggestion would be to get a 3/8 or 7/16 barrel for control, straight lines and ease of turning tight corners, and a 3/4 angled blade. Knife work is paramount in good tooling, and the knife seems to be a hurdle for most all beginners. Part of the problem is maintaining the proper forward slant while cutting. I have NEVER been comfortable with a straight blade regardless of its length. The angle blade makes it easier to keep your hand relatively vertical as the tip is digging in already.

Practice curves and circles, short strokes, etc. Scrap leather is cheap and you will get better really fast- and learn when it's properly cased at the same time!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Pete.  Exactly the type of input I'm looking for.  No doubt I'll probably end up with more than one knife also, but didn't want to make a big mistake at first and get discouraged.  Is the length thing (1.5 inches vs. 2 inches) just a comfort thing?  Or is there more to it than that?

If you'll do a search you'll find a LOT of discussion on this subject. Not only on style of knife, but manufacturer too. You're also going to get a lot of different opinions. I generally recommend that a beginner start out with a 7/16" or 1/2" barrel with a 3/8" straight blade. I feel this is a good all around setup and once you really master it's use you will be ready to begin accumulating specialty knives.As far as blades go I happen to prefer hollow ground blades. One tip I can offer on knife length....do not buy a knife that forces you to close you hand down around it to grio it. You should be able to grip the knife with a fairly open hand. You will develop muscles in your fingers with practice and you will gain more control. I want to be able to place the cradle at the first knuckle toward the end of my finger. I disagree with using a short knife where the cradle lands behind the large knuckle at base of your hand. I also prefer a more aggressive knurl on my knives but I think I am probably the exception there.

Hope this helps....

Bobby

If you'll do a search you'll find a LOT of discussion on this subject. Not only on style of knife, but manufacturer too. You're also going to get a lot of different opinions. I generally recommend that a beginner start out with a 7/16" or 1/2" barrel with a 3/8" straight blade. I feel this is a good all around setup and once you really master it's use you will be ready to begin accumulating specialty knives.As far as blades go I happen to prefer hollow ground blades. One tip I can offer on knife length....do not buy a knife that forces you to close you hand down around it to grio it. You should be able to grip the knife with a fairly open hand. You will develop muscles in your fingers with practice and you will gain more control. I want to be able to place the cradle at the first knuckle toward the end of my finger. I disagree with using a short knife where the cradle lands behind the large knuckle at base of your hand. I also prefer a more aggressive knurl on my knives but I think I am probably the exception there.

Hope this helps....

Bobby

Thanks, Bobby. Your input is helpful and much appreciated. Yes, I have read all I could find especially on this forum. Lots of discussion and personal preferences. I'm going to go back and look at that Stohlman book with the nice illustrations of using the knife and, using your input, see if I can make a (somewhat) intelligent choice on the length.

I like Bobby preffer a coarser knurling & I also preffer a little more weight so all my knive are 5/8 x 2" barrels from Henly. Blades I use for most of my cutting is a 3/8 or 1/2 hollow ground thin. I do 99 % of my cuts with the 3/8 thin. The only time I use a 1/4 angled blade is for small letters, you will find a straight blade will give you more controll, all you need is to practice and you will be able to cut most anything you want.

Al

I like Bobby preffer a coarser knurling & I also preffer a little more weight so all my knive are 5/8 x 2" barrels from Henly. Blades I use for most of my cutting is a 3/8 or 1/2 hollow ground thin. I do 99 % of my cuts with the 3/8 thin. The only time I use a 1/4 angled blade is for small letters, you will find a straight blade will give you more controll, all you need is to practice and you will be able to cut most anything you want.

Al

Great! Thanks, Al.