pella

What is that? I found a braided "thing"

Hello braider experts!

here look at the picture...my husband find that in a local antique, he think it is something for self-defense, if you put the strap around wrist and make circle, knock.... It it weigted with a lead ball, quite heavy. overall length is 13inches

thanks for your help

A long time ago they were used a lots, and it was refered to as a Black Jack.

thank Luke...so is that a defense objet?

that's a homemade "sap" aka "black jack" as luke said. they used to be carried by police (some still carry one), sailors and the bad guys. they're more of an offensive weapon than a defensive one and can be flat or round, braided or stitched around the edges, have a shaft core or not (some have/had a heavy spring while others used anything from wood to rawhide to lead or steel) while the end usually has a core of lead (either shot or a ball). generally used to knock someone out from behind (for any reason from getting shanghai'd to getting robbed) or just to beat the tar out of someone (think enforcer for a loan shark or a cop giving a suspect a reason to submit). these days they're usually sold as "tire checkers". um... that comprehensive enough? *L*

Drac: i could not had a clearer answer! thank you very much :-)

I'm happy to know what it is, i'll keep it in my leather "museum"

pella, there is actually a very big market for these lately. While on a recent trip to Montreal, on of the people that was on the tour with us, asked me a bout the vest I was wearing. He was interested in learning how to carve leather, and wanted to know where he could get help from. Needless to say I pointed him to this forum. But he started working with leather about 1 year ago, making just what you have there. He told me he has sold well over 100 of them since starting.

He's also written a book on these as well as tactical tomahawks.

There are even discussion forums just like this one all about the "sap" or "blackjack", just do a Google on either one.

Ken

He sell hundread to who?!! Street gangs...Kind of dangerous no? Well, maybe to police...

This is the modern version of a Blackjack. Purchased, mail order, from the US along with a set of lock picks... I'm a writer okay? You have to do the research - honestly officer, you really have to do the research...

blackjack.jpg

post-6314-1214745590_thumb.jpg

Edited by UKRay

It may have had a less sinister use as a 'priest' used to administer the last rites to a fish.

Regards

It may have had a less sinister use as a 'priest' used to administer the last rites to a fish.

Regards

GOOD point BigAlC! and another item on the evergrowing wishlist, sigh.

Tom

Hi Again

They are still available,

Try

http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/index.php?temp...rch_term=priest

Things are often not quite what they at first appear to be - folks included

Regards

Alan

ok...for fishing that make sense to me. Better than leaving the fish dying by himself. Could it be use to knock poultry before bleed them?

BigAlC your avatar look very nice.

He sell hundread to who?!! Street gangs...Kind of dangerous no? Well, maybe to police...

Been a long time since the police could get away with using something like that. When I went to the academy they were pretty much history, and we were warned strongly that even carrying one could be career ending if we ever ended up being questioned on "use of force". Not saying there aren't a few officers out there who might have them, but frankly, they're either not entirely on the side of law, or they're taking foolish risks.