chancey77

Antique Paste Can I Make It At Home?

So I just got off the phone with some folks in England and since I live in Finland with the shipping restrictions I cannot receive Antique paste or Wyosheen....they wanted an extra 60€ for hazardous shipping....

So just like everything else here I have to figure something out...

Has anyone tried to make their own Antique paste with a good result. It can't be that hard, I am sure someone out there has tried.

PLEASE HELP!

Tandy said they could ship the Eco Flow Professional series but they have not had any feedback about it.

Almost all of the things I make are heavily used and in my experience eco flow has never cut the mustard even with a good sealer.

I am at a loss.

I am abut to embark on a huge project of making some door panels for a 1951 Ford pick up truck and with all the 100's of hours that are going to be going into these huge 2 door panels I really don't want to get all the way to the last step and ruin them!

The client really wants them antiqued tan and right now I am at a loss.

Money isn't the issue just plain resources! Something I have taken for granted; growing up down the road from Tandy now that I live here in Finland, is almost impossible to do some what I have always considered a simple task....

Any ideas?????????

PLEASE HELP ME COME UP WITH A GOOD SOLUTION...that doesn't involve me getting on a plane:)

Does it seem like my only option is water based eco flow?????? I HOPE NOT! If I am wrong and it is a great product PLEASE CORRECT ME! I need to know from some real experienced people here no novices.

Recipes welcome!

THANKS A MILLION!

Edited by chancey77

that I live here in Finland, is almost impossible to do some what I have always considered a simple task....

Any ideas?????????

Hi chancey,

Please don't cry, Finland not such a heck of the woods like it might appear at first glance :)

Do have a look for instance at this lot and if 14 bucks is not an issue (and actually as I 've got from your post it is not), you'll get that in 14 days delivered to your door.

Bruce has some other antiques/colors and quite a thrustworth guy to buy from.

Hope it helps.

Cheers!

Edited by Suicide

Definitely not crying just fed up from time to time:)

Who is Bruce???

And yes I would love to get enough to cover 37" x 37" times 2

I have to use it on door panels for a 51 ford pick up after I do all the carving...I have not used it in a while, and I am thinking I will need a 32oz jar...Money is not a problem!

THANKS!

Who is Bruce???

Bruce is the owner of Stecksstore shop ( the link for his ebay lot I put in my previous message). Everything I bought from him I got here in Finland with no any problems. You can send him a message through ebay and discuss everything you need. I think he has enough Fiebings antique to cover much larger area than you mentioned :)

BTW just interesting about the project you 've mentioned: are these going to be outside door panels?

Edited by Suicide

Who is Bruce???

And yes I would love to get enough to cover 37" x 37" times 2

I have to use it on door panels for a 51 ford pick up after I do all the carving...I have not used it in a while, and I am thinking I will need a 32oz jar...Money is not a problem!

THANKS!

You can also get it from his .com shop. http://www.stecksstore.com/servlet/the-2662/Light%2C-Brown%2C-Fiebing%27s%2C-Fiebings%2C/Detail

Might be better to talk to him through there too.

I've bought from stecks a few times too. Good people and fast ship. Of course I don't live half way round the world from him... but still he gets things out fast.

Bruce is the owner of Stecksstore shop ( the link for his ebay lot I put in my previous message). Everything I bought from him I got here in Finland with no any problems. You can send him a message through ebay and discuss everything you need. I think he has enough Fiebings antique to cover much larger area than you mentioned :)

BTW just interesting about the project you 've mentioned: are these going to be outside door panels?

Inside door panels. BTW! Where are you in Finland?

PM sent!

And thanks Sylvia!

Inside door panels. BTW! Where are you in Finland?

PM sent!

And thanks Sylvia!

Just sent you a recipe check your PM

PM received and sent:) That is a cool book...I have to ask my folks if they have that somewhere in their library. I did some searching about that book Dr. Chase's recipes...very good stuff in there for sure!

PM received and sent:) That is a cool book...I have to ask my folks if they have that somewhere in their library. I did some searching about that book Dr. Chase's recipes...very good stuff in there for sure!

LOL I liked the recipes for "womens troubles" containing "white lead" What the?

Sent to me from SYLVIA.brainbleach.gif

Be careful what you ask for you might get it. I found this recipe in an OLD OLD book, called Dr. Chase's Recipes.

Water Proof paste.

1 lb Tallow (rendered beef fat)

1/2 lb Bees Wax

1/2 pint Neatsfoot oil

1/2 lb of Rosin (pine tree pitch)

lampblack for color. But I would use artists oil paint to color it brown/tan.

Mix until well combined over heat. Pour into a good container and allow to solidify

I AM CERTAINLY GOING TO TRY THIS! 1/8 AT FIRST:)

I WILL POST PICS THIS WEEK AND A FULL CRITIQUE:)

This seems like a great Pitch Blend concoction.

Hello, everyone!

I have been lurking around this site for a while. There is a lot of good information here, and a bunch of friendly people, too. chancey77 & Sylvis, thanks for sharing the information about Dr. Chase's book. I found some digital copies, here:

http://www.archive.org/details/drchasesrecipeso00chasiala

...and, here:

http://digital.lib.msu.edu/projects/cookbooks/html/books/book_22.cfm

Shawn

It may be different, but lets see how it can be tweaked. Might get a Pitch blend recipe out of if . I think all the wax in it may keep it from setting on the top layer. Also, I don't believe 100 years ago they called it Antique Paste, maybe they just called it Dye/Waterproofing paste?:)

Well, first of all, thanks for reminding us of how nice it is to live in a free enterprise capitalist country like the US without all those enviro-nazi restrictions on everything.... yeah right. That being said, I've always suspected that antique paste was little more than shoe polish anyhow. Try a little tan shoe polish and see how it works.

But since this is a big project and cost is no object, why not just pay the cost of shipping for antique and tack it on the cost to the customer?

You can try this company in Sweden : http://www.tjaderlader.se/shop/ or

How much do you need ? I could buy it for you and ship, (but there will be shipping costs for two separate shippings)

/ Knut

Edited by oldtimer

post-31175-049817500 1336212191_thumb.jp

Sent to me from SYLVIA.brainbleach.gif

Be careful what you ask for you might get it. I found this recipe in an OLD OLD book, called Dr. Chase's Recipes.

Water Proof paste.

1 lb Tallow (rendered beef fat)

1/2 lb Bees Wax

1/2 pint Neatsfoot oil

1/2 lb of Rosin (pine tree pitch)

lampblack for color. But I would use artists oil paint to color it brown/tan.

Mix until well combined over heat. Pour into a good container and allow to solidify

I AM CERTAINLY GOING TO TRY THIS! 1/8 AT FIRST:)

I WILL POST PICS THIS WEEK AND A FULL CRITIQUE:)

This seems like a great Pitch Blend concoction.

I am looking for a waterproof antique method myself. Did you or anybody try this recipe?

I love the looks of Eco Flow gel antique on the bare leather but even with a good finnish, it gets washed away from within when the leather is soaked huh.gif (see attachement).

Applied onto a finish it does not look good at all. In Holland there is no Wyo-sheen or anything like that available, as far as I know. post-31175-049817500 1336212191_thumb.jp

Edited by rikbik

I did end up trying what I thought would be very similar.

Antique wood wax about 2-6 tbl spoons

1-3 tblsp Neatsfoot oil Basic 50/50 mix or you could try 75 wax/25 oil, it might work as well.

And enough black dye to make it all black/brown/red/blue/green...whatever color you want.

Heated on the stove in an old metal pot for 3 bucks from the junk store.

And I have to say it was pretty spot on!!!!!!!!

I have also tried just shoe polish before, it did work but it gets hard and crumbles.

The mix with the neatsfoot oil seemed to work the best.

I still have not tried the Dr. Chase recipe yet, but one day I will.

Until then I will stick with the antique wood wax recipe I listed above. Since they won't ship Feibings to Finland!!!!!!!

I don't use anything like that very often so small batches is fine by me:)

LOL I had forgotten about this thread.

enter resting.... got any pics of it used?

enter resting.... got any pics of it used?

I'll dig in the boxes 2morrow and try to find the test pieces.

Wow....

Here in my country I have some problems to import things. Actually the taxes are so high that turns prohibitive to import some itens.

I'm looking for a recipe like this for a long time.

Thanks thanks....and.... thanks !!

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

I did end up trying what I thought would be very similar.

Antique wood wax about 2-6 tbl spoons

1-3 tblsp Neatsfoot oil Basic 50/50 mix or you could try 75 wax/25 oil, it might work as well.

And enough black dye to make it all black/brown/red/blue/green...whatever color you want.

Heated on the stove in an old metal pot for 3 bucks from the junk store.

And I have to say it was pretty spot on!!!!!!!!

I have also tried just shoe polish before, it did work but it gets hard and crumbles.

Really? Isn't it easy to wipe out of the embossed areas?

I tried a version of Dr. Chase's recipe but used a dark pigment in stead of lamp black: doesn't work, crumbles out of the embossing. Oil paints should be better to my feeling.

But I now got a powder of a fiend which produces very nice and - he says - waterproof result. He gets it from Italy and it might contain - or just be - asphalt powder (the stuff that is being used in etching so an artist shop might sell it). Needs to be dissolved with turpentine to a paste, so that sounds quite waterproof banana.gif! I will test it soon.

I also came across this funny recipe, but I am not sure this will produce good results: http://www.ehow.com/...uing-stain.html

Edited by rikbik

I also came across this funny recipe, but I am not sure this will produce good results: http://www.ehow.com/...uing-stain.html

Uh... that is a Vinegaroon recipe. It produces a black color on veg tanned leather. It is NOT an antique but a type of dye.... well not really because it works by a chemical reaction between the Tannin in the Leather and the V'roon.

It does produce good results if you want something black.

Watch this to see.