Sign in to follow this  
abisquale

Sewing Machine For Light-Weight Cow-Hide Bags

Hi!

I'm new to this forum, and came into leather craft by accident. I started making canvas bags on a home machine, and then switched to cow hide. I have been using my pfaff 6091 quilting machine, but I broke the needle bar and now I have learned my lesson and am ready to buy something more appropriate for leather. Everyone I've talked to has recommended that I get a compound feed walking foot machine, but i'm not sure how to find one for less than $1500. Is this my best/only option? Compounding my confusion is that I'm moving from LA to NYC next week, and all my garment and sewing machine contacts are here. Can anyone walk me through some options?

Thank you so much in advance!!

post-28527-074061000 1327782426_thumb.jp

Hi!

I'm new to this forum, and came into leather craft by accident. I started making canvas bags on a home machine, and then switched to cow hide. I have been using my pfaff 6091 quilting machine, but I broke the needle bar and now I have learned my lesson and am ready to buy something more appropriate for leather. Everyone I've talked to has recommended that I get a compound feed walking foot machine, but i'm not sure how to find one for less than $1500. Is this my best/only option? Compounding my confusion is that I'm moving from LA to NYC next week, and all my garment and sewing machine contacts are here. Can anyone walk me through some options?

Thank you so much in advance!!

Give Steve at Leather Machine Co. a call (www.leathermachineco.com). He's in LA and specializes in machines for leather. Good guy to talk to. Looking at your bag, you should definitely be able to find something that will sew that for under $1500 especially if he has something used.

Andrew

Since you are moving, if I am right Ohio is closer to NYC than LA. is so you could check with Toledo sewing machine too and shipping might be less sent straight to NYC. I think Bob and Steve are both very good sources of both new and used machines.

Give Steve at Leather Machine Co. a call (www.leathermachineco.com). He's in LA and specializes in machines for leather. Good guy to talk to. Looking at your bag, you should definitely be able to find something that will sew that for under $1500 especially if he has something used.

Andrew

Thanks, even though i'm moving i will give him a call to discuss my best options!