Miloradovich

1St Seat And Some Finishing Questions

I think the dry brushing is the best way to prevent it. Obviously there's large open spots in your background that you could use more dye on the brush because you don't have to worry about it bleeding. Once you get a feel for how it spreads, you can move onto the smaller areas. Most of the videos I've seen have shown them using up the dye on their work and then once most of the dye is off of the brush, using it to feather and make a transition into the non-dyed area. I think that would be the best time to brush the tooling, when it's empty. But, I've only used the eco-flo crap so far, so you may get less bleeding with a better quality dye.

Now, who votes for Chancey to write a new Leathercraft book for us non-traditional types????

grouphug5vj5.giftogether we will conquer all!Lighten.gifI have been thinking about it...but when do i have the time ????:*

Edited by chancey77

grouphug5vj5.giftogether we will conquer all!Lighten.gifI have been thinking about it...but when do i have the time ????:*

I'll keep scavenging your posts here until we find some of that "time" stuff.

I'll keep scavenging your posts here until we find some of that "time" stuff.

Up to my eye balls in work, but I will hopefully be able to finally get around to starting that patina video this weekend. I already had an old seat pan bottom that was cut out so I put the death before dishonor logo on it, now it is just ready to get whacked beaten,dragged played with by the kids and general bad luck for the greater good:) hahahah INSERT EVIL LAUGH HERE!!!!!

Up to my eye balls in work, but I will hopefully be able to finally get around to starting that patina video this weekend. I already had an old seat pan bottom that was cut out so I put the death before dishonor logo on it, now it is just ready to get whacked beaten,dragged played with by the kids and general bad luck for the greater good:) hahahah INSERT EVIL LAUGH HERE!!!!!

Work comes first....but I'm definitely eagerly anticipating it when you get there :You_Rock_Emoticon:

SO HERE IS A BRUSH PICTURE AND EXPLANATION FOR YALL:)

PAGE 5 IN MY NEW BOOK...HAHAHA.

post-28433-043843100 1330119589_thumb.jp

1/8 Double Loop Stitch

1/4 for Fat X Pattern's

X Patterns 1cm spacing between holes

Double loop Stitching 5mm spacing between holes. Or use a Thonging Chisel Set Item #3008-00 from Tandy.

If you are double looping or for that matter doing any type of Lacing invest in 3-4 Perma Lok/Screw on Blunted Needles, do not use the ones that just Clip on, they are not good! When you have to push on them they don't cut into your finger and when you have to pull on them they hold real tight on the lace, just give a little cut and the lace end and screw them on! EASY AS PIE!

I just thought of that after the LONG POST:) hahaha

cheers for all the good advice you give :-)....I've just joined yesterday as I found this site by pure chance....leatherwork is a self taught thing for me, and have only done a cover up seat so far and did a couple of mistakes, but its good coz I've learnt....now am on the verge of covering up my nightster seat so I need to be sure I don't mess this up haha....keep up the good work and advice...Clo

cheers for all the good advice you give :-)....I've just joined yesterday as I found this site by pure chance....leatherwork is a self taught thing for me, and have only done a cover up seat so far and did a couple of mistakes, but its good coz I've learnt....now am on the verge of covering up my nightster seat so I need to be sure I don't mess this up haha....keep up the good work and advice...Clo

HEY NO SWEAT!!!!!!!!!

I learned a lot from my dad a very long time ago....but I am mostly self taught since i decided to pick it up for a real job...hahahaha

If you can call it that!

Cheers!

Feel free to drop me a P.M. if you have any questions...maybe I can steer you in the right direction or tell you enough to just get yourself into trouble! LOL LMFAO!!!!!!!

Chancey

Edited by chancey77

or tell you enough to just get yourself into trouble! LOL LMFAO!!!!!!!

Chancey

Yeah Buddy, you get me in trouble all the time. But there's no better way to learn how to shovel then to dig out of your own grave :cheers:

So, has anybody heard from Milo on the status of this wonderful seat??

Somehow, (in my lack of having an attention span) I have overlooked this thread.

The work on the set is very nice! Looking forward to seeing it done.

Chancey77,

the seat for the pan is very inspiring, and must say that Im sucker for panheads. I've not ever seen anyone use a backgrounder to create a bold outline like that before (that I can recall anyhow), either way cool trick.

Edited by ironhead13

Chancey77,

the seat for the pan is very inspiring, and must say that Im sucker for panheads. I've not ever seen anyone use a backgrounder to create a bold outline like that before (that I can recall anyhow), either way cool trick.

Thanks brother! I love pans too!!!!!

It is just one of those things that I do I guess:) It seemed to make since when I started doing it and I continue to do it as well...I think it started by outlining letters on belts at first then it progressed into seats and pictures as well.

Anyhow, much appreciated!

L+R!

C

I had some things come up that required me to take some time off from this seat but I finally got back to and it and got it laced and dyed recently. Feels good to be almost done. My friend that I am making it for will be happy to get it on his bike after all this time.

post-22777-0-62190200-1350320380_thumb.j

Hi Milo.. I've just been reading through this whole thread, the pictures, links and the advice given as well..

It's been an inspiration to hear from the guys who are making seats, about their dyeing techniques and finishing advice too..

Chancey and Cyberthrasher..your advice has helped a lot of other folk out there too, I'm sure.. ;) I know I have this thread saved as a watched one, so cheers.!!

The seat has turned out fantastic.. I think the design is beautiful and the colours that you've gone with make it stand out, without shoving it in the viewer's face.. Subtle, is what I'm trying to say, I guess..lol

Absolutely love it.. I hope your friend does too :)

Regards

Phil

Thank you very much.

I am pleased with my results, especially considering this is my second attempt tooling. I definately would not have gotten the end result that I did without all the great advice and tips I recieved on this forum. It was a huge help!

I did a little bit of touch up dyeing and darkening to the flowers and background last night and will hopefully get the touchups i need on the black done tonight after the kids go to bed. I put this away for so long it is great to be this close to finished. Just in time for it to go on the bike for winter....lol.

Thank you very much.

I am pleased with my results, especially considering this is my second attempt tooling. I definately would not have gotten the end result that I did without all the great advice and tips I recieved on this forum. It was a huge help!

I did a little bit of touch up dyeing and darkening to the flowers and background last night and will hopefully get the touchups i need on the black done tonight after the kids go to bed. I put this away for so long it is great to be this close to finished. Just in time for it to go on the bike for winter....lol.

Well..great work for only your second go at tooling.. ;)

I know what you mean about the help and advice on here..it's astounding how friendly folk are, how they are pleased when you succeed and lets face it, so near to the end of the project, these few people know exactly what sweat and tears have gone into this.. ;)

As far as your friend goes, Im sure as you say, he'll be pleased to get hold of it finally..

After all, anyone would be proud to have a seat like that to look at, drool over and polish for a few months..lol :)

Regards

Phil

Clearly you taking the time to plan out your next step after completing the previous one has paid off. The results are very stunning. I was in the middle of admiring it when my wife walked by and commented that I needed to make my work look more like that. Clearly, I have something new to strive for. Thank you very much for sharing the progress with us!

Edited by shtoink

Ditto that one. I'm still in awe of the subtle color combinations you got here Milo!! I can't tell you enough how BEAUTIFUL it came out!!

And don't feel too bad about it taking so long - I have a seat that I started back in April that's still not done. Since it was for fun it keeps on getting put aside until I clear up customer orders. Suppose it's a good thing that that hasn't been happening ;)

Clearly you taking the time to plan out your next step after completing the previous one has paid off. The results are very stunning. I was in the middle of admiring it when my wife walked by and commented that I needed to make my work look more like that. Clearly, I have something new to strive for. Thank you very much for sharing the progress with us!

Thanks for the kind words, thats quite a compliment! I don't know if it was necessarily taking time to plan ahead or just slacking off, haha. I definately struggled through parts of the process but am happy with the end result and happy to be done! I learned a lot, especially with the advice here and expect things will go smoother on anything I try in the future.

Ditto that one. I'm still in awe of the subtle color combinations you got here Milo!! I can't tell you enough how BEAUTIFUL it came out!!

And don't feel too bad about it taking so long - I have a seat that I started back in April that's still not done. Since it was for fun it keeps on getting put aside until I clear up customer orders. Suppose it's a good thing that that hasn't been happening ;)

Thank you! I appriciate you feedback and tips through the process too. I tried to go for a little bit of the halo effect that you metioned early one by darking the edges of my background around the figure and roses with extra coats of the background color. It was looking pretty sharp but unfortunately the entire seat darkened when I sealed it up. I hope it will lighten up some but I don't know for sure. Glad to know I'm not the only one who puts stuff off for a long time. My buddy is happy to see his seat on his bike now for sure but I guess he really can't complain about the extended timeline when it's for free.

We took a ride up through the mountains on Sunday and here are a few shots I took of the seat on his bike when we stopped for a break.

post-22777-0-62332900-1351023020_thumb.j

post-22777-0-94974400-1351023023_thumb.j

post-22777-0-38170000-1351023027_thumb.j

post-22777-0-52529600-1351023030_thumb.j

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE COLOR!!!! That is gorgeous and a PERFECT match to the bike.

I'm really digging the ride too. Those struts are similar to something I was thinking about at one time :)

Yeah it has gone darker Milo, but IMHO it goes really well with the bodywork colours..

Totally beautiful..the bike AND the seat.. Well done indeed, on your part..

The bike wouldn't be anywhere near as classy with an off-the-shelf seat, that's for sure.. :)

Thanks for posting the pics..it's good to see it in situ..

Regards

Phil

Thanks for the kind words guys! It does go well with the bike and Nick's happy to have it on there. Says it much more comfortable than the temp he's been using the last 10 months. I am liking the darker shades the more I see it mounted, I am kinda thinking the dark color helps make it pop bit from the paint. This w650 was his first build and he's included some nice details to it like the struts while getting it all done on a pretty low budget. The seat was my contribution since I suck at any kind of mechanical work and wasn't much help with that aspect.

The seat was my contribution since I suck at any kind of mechanical work and wasn't much help with that aspect.

One of the many reasons I started with leather myself. I still have knots on my head from constant smacks with a torque wrench while my friend was helping me build up my bike. Never been much of a wrench, but the world needs artists too so I think I'll be OK :)