niftycurly

Presser Foot Lifting On Tippmann Boss?

Hi all you Boss experts out there,

I've recently picked up a used cast iron Boss from a fellow Leatherworker.net member and as he never actually used it can't ask him about it's foibles.

So far I've got it cleaned and oiled, correct needle and thread in place but before I even get to fiddling with tensions there is a major problem.

On the downstroke when the presser foot lifts to allow the material to advance it usually doesn't go back down.

I took off the front cover to observe the action and it appears that the pressure foot cam is just not advancing quite far enough to click into the next notch at the end of the handle downstroke.

If I manually push the cam forward before the upstroke the foot will pop down. The amount of not advancing enough is inconsistent. Sometimes it will be just barely, other times it gets halfway, some times it even reverses a bit. If I slam the handle down as hard as I can it will make it to the next notch maybe 1/10 times so it is not a matter of short stroking from the handle side.

Any ideas? I'll call Tippmann on Monday morning but if I can get any sewing in this weekend I'd be happy dance'n.

A couple things to note:

* When the machine arrived the presser foot tension knob was cranked all the way down so tight I needed two hands to pull the foot lever.

* The action of the presser foot lifting lever is pretty clunky (Is there a spot to lubricate?)

* The thread take up arm doesn't go anywhere, is it supposed to?

* Probably unrelated but my thread is fraying badly, needle size and placement are correct, brand new spool of bonded nylon.

Many thanks,

-Ellen

Edited by niftycurly

Hi all you Boss experts out there,

I've recently picked up a used cast iron Boss from a fellow Leatherworker.net member and as he never actually used it can't ask him about it's foibles.

So far I've got it cleaned and oiled, correct needle and thread in place but before I even get to fiddling with tensions there is a major problem.

On the downstroke when the presser foot lifts to allow the material to advance it usually doesn't go back down.

I took off the front cover to observe the action and it appears that the pressure foot cam is just not advancing quite far enough to click into the next notch at the end of the handle downstroke.

If I manually push the cam forward before the upstroke the foot will pop down. The amount of not advancing enough is inconsistent. Sometimes it will be just barely, other times it gets halfway, some times it even reverses a bit. If I slam the handle down as hard as I can it will make it to the next notch maybe 1/10 times so it is not a matter of short stroking from the handle side.

Any ideas? I'll call Tippmann on Monday morning but if I can get any sewing in this weekend I'd be happy dance'n.

A couple things to note:

* When the machine arrived the presser foot tension knob was cranked all the way down so tight I needed two hands to pull the foot lever.

* The action of the presser foot lifting lever is pretty clunky (Is there a spot to lubricate?)

* Probably unrelated but my thread is fraying badly, needle size and placement are correct, brand new spool of bonded nylon.

Many thanks,

-Ellen

Take the thread out of the needle and off of the machine and and put some more oil on it and cycle it several times until it releases. Don't be timmed about cycling the handle then put some more oil on it. Make sure it is anchored solidly; rocking back and forth while you are trying to cycle the handle will not do. Keep it well oiled

A couple things to note:

back off the tension screw use pliers if necessary

Don't you have a manual?? Oil anything that has a sliding or rotating motion.

all it does is go up and down oil that too

sounds as though someone jammed a needle into the hook and put a scratch on it. If this is the case the machine is probably out of time and you need to take the hook out and sand the scratch off with emery cloth. You have to be a mechanic to own a Boss. Don't worry about the thread for now. Get the machine cycling through the sewing motions like it should then worry about the thread fraying

I found with mine that it seemed very "stiff" and clunky when it was new, that is normal. I took the back off and the cover plate on the head and used wheel bearing grease anywhere things moved. It seemed that the grease allowed more movement then just the oil. After things were moving pretty well I oil everything that moved (including where I had greased it) and cycled it while doing all of this so I could see everthing that moved and needed to move. (Do all this with the thread out)

Give that a try. Once in a while I would check and make sure the grease was not built up somewhere, I would just wipe off the excess and reapply once in a while. The track system on mine seemed the driest part and when lubed really made a big difference in the whole machine working correctly.

Dont forget a drop or two where the bobbin shuttle rotates.

Give this a try!!

If it's set up for a looong time, there's a possibility that the cable has rusted inside the sheathing. Back off your presser foot tension a LOT and re-try the lift handle. If it moves freely, then it should be 'okay'. If it's still stiff, plan on oiling the cable. DO check the point where the cable inserts into the arm. Make sure that connection isn't torqued down too tight, as it will cause the cable to bind a bit....in other words, you've got a 12 inch cable in an 11 inch sheath. Back that out if needed. If a little lubrication doesn't free things up, plan on shipping it to Tippmann for a refurb. They're pretty reasonable on their rates and you'll get it back knowing it's all done correctly.

On the thread take up lever- it SHOULD move up and down. When you push the handle all the way 'up', you should not be able to push the thread take up arm 'down'. If you can press it down, or there's no up/down movement, there's a screw loose on the inside of the machine.

Take a few minutes to read the thread by Particle where he asks to see the backsides of pieces sewn on a Boss. There's a ton of good info in that thread.

WOHOOOOOO!!!!

Many thanks busted and rickybobby! After greasing the bejeebus out of every moving part I could get to, including under the front cover, and cranking the handle about a hundred times everything is moving like butter. Bonus, the fraying thread issue has also gone away and the Boss is now stitching like a champ. I just whipped up this little card case.

post-22313-017261500 1328423251_thumb.jp

Side note: while the stitching is lovely, there was some blowout on the bottom side. I've nearly eliminated that by putting a sheet of copy paper between the leather and plate. The remaining cleaned up with a little antique stain.

Totally happy dance'n now!

Many many thanks,

-Ellen

Edited by niftycurly

Twin Oaks - Thanks for the Particle tip!

I believe this Boss was sitting idle in someone's closet for several years and seeming with the presser foot tension cranked as tight as it could go.

Backing off helped greatly and seems ok. What little I can see of the cable doesn't appear rusted. I do have a copy of the manual but it doesn't mention a lube point for the cable - should I oil the part where it enters the arm?

Gracias!

-Ellen

If it's set up for a looong time, there's a possibility that the cable has rusted inside the sheathing. Back off your presser foot tension a LOT and re-try the lift handle. If it moves freely, then it should be 'okay'. If it's still stiff, plan on oiling the cable. DO check the point where the cable inserts into the arm. Make sure that connection isn't torqued down too tight, as it will cause the cable to bind a bit....in other words, you've got a 12 inch cable in an 11 inch sheath. Back that out if needed. If a little lubrication doesn't free things up, plan on shipping it to Tippmann for a refurb. They're pretty reasonable on their rates and you'll get it back knowing it's all done correctly.

On the thread take up lever- it SHOULD move up and down. When you push the handle all the way 'up', you should not be able to push the thread take up arm 'down'. If you can press it down, or there's no up/down movement, there's a screw loose on the inside of the machine.

Take a few minutes to read the thread by Particle where he asks to see the backsides of pieces sewn on a Boss. There's a ton of good info in that thread.

post-22313-000180400 1328423096_thumb.jp

Edited by niftycurly

Twin Oaks - Thanks for the Particle tip!

I believe this Boss was sitting idle in someone's closet for several years and seeming with the presser foot tension cranked as tight as it could go.

Backing off helped greatly and seems ok. What little I can see of the cable doesn't appear rusted. I do have a copy of the manual but it doesn't mention a lube point for the cable - should I oil the part where it enters the arm?

Gracias!

-Ellen

If you want to oil the cable it is very easy. Disconnect the cable from the top side of the leaver. Take a sandwich bag now take your scissors and cut a very small corner from the lower side of the bag. You are trying to make a hole small enough to slip over the end of the cable. Now that the bag is attached put a rubber band tightly around the bag. You are trying to seal the bag to the cable so when you pour oil in the bag it will run into the cable and not down your arm.

Yep, what Busted said.......except I opt for a using a very small spout on the bottle of oil. My preference is RemOil, which is marketed for firearms, because it carries a bit of Teflon with it.