I over-oiled a piece I made recently. It's made from 6 oz. veg-tanned, but I wanted it darker. I liked the color to which the neatsfoot brought this small case, but I got carried away and now it's too oily. I've wrapped it in a brown paper bag, but is there a faster way to get most of the oil out?

post-5821-032074900 1328543539_thumb.jpg

I don't know about fast, but I have tried dunking in water and let it dry out a few times. It helps, but once the oil is absorbed by the fibers, it tends to stay there.

Thanks, Brent. And WOW! Gorgeous saddles!

I don't know about fast, but I have tried dunking in water and let it dry out a few times. It helps, but once the oil is absorbed by the fibers, it tends to stay there.

I did the exact same thing on a wallet I just made for my dad. Not to change the color, but to give it some waterproofing. I have made a mental note not to do that again :) I was not happy with myself!

. Suggestions from past overoilings have been - wrapping in paper, sawdust, kitty litter (oil-sorb clay litter), and other absorbants. Washing with Dawn will remove some oil. GoJo has been suggested too. Like Brent said, none of these are going to be fast. Not to sound like a wise-a**, but the fastest way is going to be just making it over.

I over-oiled a piece I made recently. It's made from 6 oz. veg-tanned, but I wanted it darker. I liked the color to which the neatsfoot brought this small case, but I got carried away and now it's too oily. I've wrapped it in a brown paper bag, but is there a faster way to get most of the oil out?

You can put it into the box with just a traditional fine grained cooking salt. It will absorb most of oil in 1 or 2 hours. Then just clean the item with a dry brush. :rolleyes2:

Edited by Suicide

You can put it into the box with just a traditional fine grained cooking salt. It will absorb most of oil in 1 or 2 hours. Then just clean the item with a dry brush. :rolleyes2:

Does this really work?

Does this really work?

Salt is a good absorbent for all sort of liquids.

You can try to keep salt box opened in a room with hight humidity. After a while you'll find your salt soaked so much water from the air so it began to dissolve.

Or just spill a little of EVOO onto your clothes and see the small nasty oil stains, feel upset about it, then put that cloth onto a desk, pour some salt on top of it covering that oiled spot(s), tap salt a bit with fingers, and wait for a couple of hours. Then clean stuff and see the difference. This is a pretty good method to light such stain if you unable to wash item right after such accident. And of course, earlier you put salt onto, better will be a result.

Edited by Suicide