jsmith

Cobra Class 4

Yesterday at 12 noon the truck delivered my class 4, 1 hour and 15 minutes later I made the first saddle repair with it. Set up was very easy it came with the sample stitching still attached to the thread in the machine, no doudt about how to thread. The dvd was easy to follow and will be handy for referance. Two calls with dumb questions got patiant answers and resolution of small issues. Steve and the staff at the Leather Machine Co. have been awsome to work with through the whole process

Jeff Smith

Yesterday at 12 noon the truck delivered my class 4, 1 hour and 15 minutes later I made the first saddle repair with it. Set up was very easy it came with the sample stitching still attached to the thread in the machine, no doudt about how to thread. The dvd was easy to follow and will be handy for referance. Two calls with dumb questions got patiant answers and resolution of small issues. Steve and the staff at the Leather Machine Co. have been awsome to work with through the whole process

Jeff Smith

Hey Jeff - I got my Cobra yesterday, too. I upgraded from a BOSS. I lugged into the house, but havent set it up yet. Did you get all the attachments?

Brian

www.nittanyleather.com

Hey Jeff - I got my Cobra yesterday, too. I upgraded from a BOSS. I lugged into the house, but havent set it up yet. Did you get all the attachments?

Brian

www.nittanyleather.com

Yes, I did get all the attachments. I've not yet tried all but I can see the place for them in my case.

I have changed thread size twice with no problems at all just minor tension adjustments,I could'nt be happier.

Jeff

I have a deposit on one that is in the current batch that Steve just got. I am #42 out of 50 so I may be waiting awhile. Cannot say enough about just my one experience with Steve on the phone. There is NO doubt that I made the right decision on both the model and the person I am buying this from. I'm so excited that I can hardly contain myself. I have no clue how to sew on a machine, but I hope my learning curve isn't too hard.

:helpsmilie:

So far so good with the machine. One issue that popped alomost immediately is the tension adjuster for the presser foot seems to cause the shaft to stick. I've added plenty of oil, but when using the lifter arm, or the pedal foot, it seems to jam in the 'top dead center' position. The presser foot will not stick in the up position after taking the tension adjuster completely off.

On the inside of the adjuster I found what appears to be some residual paint or corrosion (looks orange to me) inside the piece. I took a cordless drill fitted with a brass bore brush and tried polished it. I may have to use some valve compound to smooth it out. That seems to have helped. I also actuated the lift 50 or 60 times to make sure the two pieces slide freely.

Other than that, the machine is working as it should.

Brian

www.nittanyleather.com

Hi Brian,

That is probably some form of protection that is put on to withstand the trip over salt water. When I used to receive machine tools from Taiwan, they would be coated with it in places that were exposed. I found that regular gasoline did a wonderful job of dissolving it. Ethyl Acetate worked too, but was awfully expensive. Of course standard precautions should be observed with flammable and highly volatile compounds.

Art

So far so good with the machine. One issue that popped alomost immediately is the tension adjuster for the presser foot seems to cause the shaft to stick. I've added plenty of oil, but when using the lifter arm, or the pedal foot, it seems to jam in the 'top dead center' position. The presser foot will not stick in the up position after taking the tension adjuster completely off.

On the inside of the adjuster I found what appears to be some residual paint or corrosion (looks orange to me) inside the piece. I took a cordless drill fitted with a brass bore brush and tried polished it. I may have to use some valve compound to smooth it out. That seems to have helped. I also actuated the lift 50 or 60 times to make sure the two pieces slide freely.

Other than that, the machine is working as it should.

Brian

www.nittanyleather.com

My Cobra Class 4 should ship out this coming Tuesday as per/Steve. We also have a Class 3 & an Artisian. (the Class 3 has been a dream but now growing into a third machine). Can't wait to get the second Cobra. It should make out life alot easier. I would recommend the Cobra line of machines to anyone and with Steve in the package - you've got a sure winner.

Brian

www.nittanyleather.com

Must be a virous or something, my class 4 was delivered on the 9th also.. in Central TX

I am #34 and they said possibly next week I could see it arrive. The anticipation is killin' me!

I got my Cobra 4 last wednesday but because I was away i couldn't unpack it until today. It looks great and was in perfect condition. Here is the but part. I am missing some accessories, the DVD and the extra needles. I started to check it out but broke a needle and now it is sitting silently until I hear back from Steve or David on monday. What size thread is that they used to sew the example that came with the machine anyhoo? I would like to order some thread like that. It is perfect for what I want to do first. I have to say that I am really dissappointed but I know that they have always made things right and will this time too.

I got my Cobra 4 last wednesday but because I was away i couldn't unpack it until today. It looks great and was in perfect condition. Here is the but part. I am missing some accessories, the DVD and the extra needles. I started to check it out but broke a needle and now it is sitting silently until I hear back from Steve or David on monday. What size thread is that they used to sew the example that came with the machine anyhoo? I would like to order some thread like that. It is perfect for what I want to do first. I have to say that I am really dissappointed but I know that they have always made things right and will this time too.

I pretty sure the thread in the example they sent with mine was 277. I also broke a couple of needles when first trying it out. I'm sure Steve will take care of you.

Bob A:

How are you breaking needles ? Just rec'd mine as well with no problems. 207 & 277.

The light is my only concern and Steve has the problem solved with a small LED light that has magnets that can be placed under the arm.

I pretty sure the thread in the example they sent with mine was 277. I also broke a couple of needles when first trying it out. I'm sure Steve will take care of you.

It was operator error on my part when I broke a needle. I pulled on the thread instead of just holding it when starting up to stitch and it bent not broke but it sure broke when I tried to straighten it out.

It was operator error on my part when I broke a needle. I pulled on the thread instead of just holding it when starting up to stitch and it bent not broke but it sure broke when I tried to straighten it out.

Got an email reply from David S and as can be expected from this company with a great reputation all is being put right and the missing accessories are on the way to me. Top notch sales and service by people with common sense and the decency to put things right. They really do a great job there.

Bob A:

How are you breaking needles ? Just rec'd mine as well with no problems. 207 & 277.

The light is my only concern and Steve has the problem solved with a small LED light that has magnets that can be placed under the arm.

I broke one and bent one. Both caused by me pulling the thread to the side. Rookie mistakes on my part.

I'm thinking about getting the LED light, Do you have a picture of it?

I broke one and bent one. Both caused by me pulling the thread to the side. Rookie mistakes on my part.

I'm thinking about getting the LED light, Do you have a picture of it?

Do not have pic but worked with it today and well worth the $20. Tell Steve I suggested to get one.

I just got my cobra class 4 last night. set it up but didn't thread it. Can you all who have been working on one for awhile advise me on how you know the tension is right? I intend to put the tread on tonight. What should I look for to know if it right or wrong?

Rob

Sew some scrap and if it looks good leave it alone. I'm guessing that no matter who's machine a person buys they have adjusted the tension and sewed on it before they send it out.

The leatherworker.net dealers are good about that, it should sew from the git-go. However, stuff you buy off of eBay (except for Techsew) is pretty much right from the box and set up for lighter thread. Some I have seen still have corrosion protection on them.

Art

Sew some scrap and if it looks good leave it alone. I'm guessing that no matter who's machine a person buys they have adjusted the tension and sewed on it before they send it out.

has anyone used thicker thread on this machine, i am number 40something lol and can't wait to get my machine, i like the look of a big thread and i think it just makes things look well built. not too big though because i know that you want to use the proper equipment for the project your working on. i just want to make sure that i order the right size thread and needles the first time so i don't waste money.

what size thread should i be using on lined western rigs, also which needles. does everyone use the same size top and bottom? I've always looked into the details of what makes a top notch product and I'm looking for the opinions of people like me. I know this place is full of em lol. so if you have that attention to detail and think you have it nailed and will share your secrets i would appreciate it

thanks

has anyone used thicker thread on this machine, i am number 40something lol and can't wait to get my machine, i like the look of a big thread and i think it just makes things look well built. not too big though because i know that you want to use the proper equipment for the project your working on. i just want to make sure that i order the right size thread and needles the first time so i don't waste money.

what size thread should i be using on lined western rigs, also which needles. does everyone use the same size top and bottom? I've always looked into the details of what makes a top notch product and I'm looking for the opinions of people like me. I know this place is full of em lol. so if you have that attention to detail and think you have it nailed and will share your secrets i would appreciate it

thanks

I sewed a suede lined leather weight lifters' belt yesterday, on a Class 4, using #277 thread, top and bottom., using a type 794 S #25 needle. I used a stitch length of just longer than 5/inch, as requested. The S point has a chisel shape that cuts on the front and back of the needle. That needle and thread combination worked perfectly into the 4 ounce suede lining. The bottom knots are pulled well into the lower layer, even on the reverse stitches.

Make sure you get the roller edge guide with your machine!

I use 346 top and 277 bottom on Western holsters. I also lay a crease down with a screw crease and sew in that. I use a 794D needle which sews a triangle hole, not intuitive, but it works well. For an off duty holster, I use smaller thread 277/207. I sew a 6spi with either. Change needles regularly to prevent "punch-out" on the back side.

Art

thanks

Make sure you get the roller edge guide with your machine!

Wiz,

How does the roller guide work and what is it best used for?

Wiz,

How does the roller guide work and what is it best used for?

The roller guide swings in and out of the sewing path, along the right side of the work. You set the distance from the edge to stitch line and push the work to the right as you sew. The roller guide keeps the stitch line straight. The round roller helps you to sew inside curves and around outside curves and belt tips. It attaches with a large threaded wheel under the mounting bracket.

post-11118-039276100 1331572638_thumb.jp