mark behnke

Don't Laugh

Intimidated by the swivel knife but managed to get this done, I'm excited to do more. My knife kind of sticks as I'm pulling the line, less so when I lighten pressure, but then I don't get the depth I want and going over doesn't seem to work to well. Any Advice? I did buff the edge to a mirror polish but has a few deep scratches. Thanks

I just looked at the pic and the mid horizontal lines show the stop marks where it sticks.

post-17404-005740000 1329095142_thumb.jp

Edited by mark behnke

My knife kind of sticks as I'm pulling the line, ....... Any Advice? I did buff the edge to a mirror polish but has a few deep scratches. Thanks

Either you need to sharpen your knife or the leather is low quality of both.

Not sure what you are using for leather, but some is very bad. If it is not cased properly it makes it worse. Try using Pro-carve in the casing water, it helps. Also try lexol on the cased leather, it helps too. Also sharpen your knife.

Aaron

Thanks , Aaron,

It's Wicket and Craig skirting, I cased the leather by pulling through a shallow pan, but did work it when it was a little to wet ( hadn't returned to normal color) I'll try all your suggestion. Thank You very helpful.

Mark

Even though your point is polished, I would have to agree and advise you to re-sharpen your knife. Here is something to consider.....If your leather is wet or cased properly and your knife is sharp....it will not stop from cutting it. Even most of the leather from Tandy that I use.

My knife kind of sticks as I'm pulling the line,

this is what i do i carve in to the leather while its dry just to make an ok line then i come back and wet the leather then recarve making sure its as deep as i want it and the works but its time consuming and a new blade might be needed

Interesting! I have always taught not to re-cut a previous line and this might be your problem. If you are cutting the leather while dry, you will have problems, I would think. When you properly wet your leather to start your second knife cuts, you will cause the fibers to contract and your previously cut lines may close up. I would think if your knife is dragging even after properly moistening your leather, it is probably your knife tip. I would still suggest that you sharpen your knife blade.

Here is another suggestion I would make is for you to use a stylus to draw your pattern out on the leather. When you are ready to work on the project, you wet the leather and go about your cutting after you properly sharpen and strop your knife before use. Just a suggestion.

I cased the leather by pulling through a shallow pan

Mark, what you are doing is wetting the leather, not casing it. There absolutely nothing wrong with do that, but you should understand the difference because it is significant. If you case your leather you will find it much easier to tool. Also, the difficulty you describe with your knife indicates to me that your knife isn't sharp.

Bobby

this is what i do i carve in to the leather while its dry just to make an ok line then i come back and wet the leather then recarve making sure its as deep as i want it and the works but its time consuming and a new blade might be needed

We've got to talk, LOL, that's a terrible proceedure, LOL!!!!!!

remember to polish the swivel knife after you sharpen it or hone it.. IT IS A MUST take some jewelers rough the spread on the back piece of leather... then drag in one way the polish will build up on the knife and that is when you know you're doing it right