Sign in to follow this  
hurricane

Help With Edges

OK I have been using this trabacanth gum on my edges with my burnishing tool in my drillpress and I can't get my edges black

Am I doing something wrong?

What speed should I be running on my press?

How slow do u run the leather threw the burnisher?

Anything better than trabacanth gum?

Thank you all for any help.

There has been lengthy discussion on edges. Check out the 'How to' section for Mr. Bob Parks recipe for obtaining great edges.

Gum Trag to my knowledge will not turn your edges black. Dye will turn your edges any color you want them to be. The Gum Trag allows you to 'burnish' your edges to a lightly brown color (depending on your leather) and smooth with a hint of a gloss look. Now, I haven't used Gum Trag in several years, but if I remember correctly, you have to dye your edges first and then do your magic with the Gum Trag. Again, if I remember correctly, there might be some penetration issues if you try to dye on top of the Gum Trag.

Now, I did a product review last year on my blog for a new item that Sheridan Outfitters is selling call "Quik Slik" that is easy to use and you can dye before or after application. For about $5 bucks, it is especially helpful for those that do leathercraft as a hobby and do not have the room or equipment to work their edges like the big leather guys. Since the product is new I cannot provide you any information on any long term issues, if any, but I am sure that Luke and Vandy would not have put out a product like this without some R&D.

I hope this information helps!

I second X's suggestion on Mr. Park's posted / pinned edge finishing techniques. When I started out I was just using the eco flo trag and nylon burnisher from Tandy. Since then I've abandoned trag altogether for glyrine soap and saddle paste, i've also picked up a drill burnisher from spinner. Mr. Park's techique is more laborous than what i was doing before but the results are worth it, IMO.

Thanks for the info, I have been trying different speeds on my press and came up with a not bad combo, my edges are pretty slick now

I am pretty happy with them, I still don't care much for the track gum, I will be buying other edgeing compound.