I've been using an old belt sander, on its side, fastened with a couple of brackets I made to fasten to piece of melamine. It works OK , not perfect. I've been considering an oscillating spindle sander, has anyone used one ? if so what's your thoughts? I find that with the belt sander, I get a "flap" along the edge, no biggie, can trim with my edge beveler, but still a bit of a pain.i'm thinking the oscillating sander make eliminate this, maybe give a better finish?

I absolutely love my Ridgid Oscillating sander. In my opinion it is the best one on the market because of the fact that it has the 4x24 belt attachment as well as the lifetime warranty. You still get a little "flap" sometimes but it is lessened.

I have drums that can be mounted in a drill press or my foredom. But I do most of my edge sanding on this.....

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=44884&cat=1,43072

tk

I have drums that can be mounted in a drill press or my foredom. But I do most of my edge sanding on this.....

http://www.leevalley...884&cat=1,43072

tk

Mine looks a bit different, . . . came from Harbor Freight, . . . cost half that price, . . . but it does a great job.

Oh, . . . bearings are going out too, . . . musta used it too much.

1 inch by 30 belt, . . . I can edge a 40 inch belt with it in about 4 to 6 minutes.

When I use a spindle sander, . . . I can't get the edge to stay straight, . . . gets all wavey and funky lookin, . . . much prefer the belt sander.

After sanding, . . . I hit it with the edger, . . . sew it, . . . finish it.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

One of the things that is nice about the Lee Valley sander is that the belt doesn't have a guard on it, so you can use the top roller for sanding the edge of a holster. That keeps the little flap from forming. But for belts I find it better to use the table and let the belt sand across the edge.

They make a leather belt for it that's great for honing utility knives. They cut much better with a quick touch up.

I use the drums for sanding into tight arcs.

tk

My set-up is a 2 x 42 Craftsman...I run belt edges over the contact wheel. I usually use a 220 grit belt, but been playing with a 400 as well, although I'm not noticing much of a difference.

I dampen the edges too...that helps a lot.

When the work is done correctly here, it makes burnishing a real breeze.

post-4803-090418200 1330693396_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rayban

My set-up is a 2 x 42 Craftsman...I run belt edges over the contact wheel. I usually use a 220 grit belt, but been playing with a 400 as well, although I'm not noticing much of a difference.

I dampen the edges too...that helps a lot.

When the work is done correctly here, it makes burnishing a real breeze.

I have that one as well. I use it for some things still, but with the Ridgid Oscillating belt and spindles I use the craftsman much less. I do think that 2x42 Craftsman is a very good deal for what it costs.

thanks all, maybe I'll stick to my belt sander for a while, mount it vertical instead of horizontal.

thanks all, maybe I'll stick to my belt sander for a while, mount it vertical instead of horizontal.

This is exactly what I use, . . . I run my belt blanks from right to left, . . . letting the belt "finish" the work on the left edge of the sanding belt, . . . against the metal backing plate, . . . feeding it with my right hand, . . . and using my left hand as the guide for the belt blank.

I get beautifully sanded edges, . . . very little work to burnish them smooth, . . . use a # 4 edger just before I burnish, . . . to me it makes a beautiful edge. Yes, . . . there usually is a little flap on the bottom side after the sanding, . . . but that is why I also use the edger, . . . it cleans that off right now.

You might take your strap cutter, . . . make a 20 inch or so couple of pieces of leather 1 1/2 wide, . . . glue em together for a belt, . . . practice sanding em off. It won't take long to get the hang of it if your hands are steady at all.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have a question. What sanding grits are you guys using for the best finish with belt grinders?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have a question. What sanding grits are you guys using for the best finish with belt grinders?

220 seems to be about the best balance for me. Much finer and they tend to burn. Much coarser and the edge is not very smooth.

I use 50 or 60 grit first to get ever thing even quick and use 150 or 180 to finish with, then burnish. I'm sure your going to get a bunch of different answers.

Thanks so far. I, too, have been using a heavy grit to square it all up then 120 for finer sanding. Is there any point in going above 220? What about hand sanding above 220?

I've been using the same 220 belt for 2 years. It's barely has any grit left on it but thats how I like it. For curves and corners I use a rotary tool with a couple different diameter drums, the largest being 1/2"

I use a drum sander in my drill press, may upgrade to a oscillating sander someday. The grits I use on my drums is Around 100 or so, but then I after I bevel the edges I go in with these Scotch Brite Finishing sander flapper wheel.

$T2eC16d,!yUE9s6NFmkYBQ7uypBdzQ~~60_12.JPG

It conforms nicely to the edge. I have them in Medium and Fine. I really like the fine. I wet the edge and go at it with this and it gets me to a point where I can then go after it with 400 grit paper by hand, then burnish it. Lots of hand work on my edges.

I've owned one of these for years and love it. I use it for all sorts of things, leather just being one of them. Its both a belt sander as well as spindle sander and changing between modes takes seconds.

http://www.ridgid.com/tools/oscillating-edge-belt--spindle-sander/en/index.htm

I've owned one of these for years and love it. I use it for all sorts of things, leather just being one of them. Its both a belt sander as well as spindle sander and changing between modes takes seconds.

http://www.ridgid.co...er/en/index.htm

Agreed! I use the same and feel it's one of the best power tool deals on the market in any category!

Agreed! I use the same and feel it's one of the best power tool deals on the market in any category!

:)

I have an oscillating spindle sander from Harbor Freight. It is perfect for sanding edges on holsters, especially those made of two pieces of leather and can lay flat on the table. The sander will produce a perfect edge. With a folded holster, you can't use the table. You must periodically verify that you are sanding at the correct angle. I glue, sand and the groove. I use the sander on every holster I make.

Jeff C.

I'm a little late here but way back to the flap. I think that is actually a good thing as it sets up the piece for more even and lasting edging than would otherwise be, and the goal of edge sanding for me has never been to get the finished edge of a piece but to clean up even up and set up the edge fibers to take whatever edge treatment I'll be using as a pre treatment for good burnishing. Oh yeah, I use a belt sander, horizontally set on the bench with 80 grit.

http://www.ridgid.co...er/en/index.htm

How's the dust collection on the Rigid?

Jake...there's a dust collection port on the back of the machine. I have mine hooked right into my Jet dust collector

Hey there everyone! Looking to get a table sander for my belt edges. What is working best for you? The vertical belt orientation (something like this) or the horizontal belt orientation (like the Rigid)? OR does anyone use a disc type of sander? What would you recommend? I appreciate your feedback.

you can get that same sander for 39.00 at harbor freight used this for years

About top grit used: some are using up to 400-600 grit, but usually by hand, others use even micromesh belts from Lee Valley. A bit of overkill, maybe, but gives a smooth surface.