Sign in to follow this  
opticorn

Raised Embossing? Help Dr. Zaius

Hello - I'm new to this forum and wasn't sure whether to post here or under Specialty Leatherwork, but here goes. I have a project I'm trying to have custom made for a friend's upcoming 50th birthday. His favorite film of all time is the original 1968 "Planet Of the Apes" and for as long as I've known him, he's always dreamed of having a custom jacket to include the the raised glyph symbols from the Dr. Zaius jacket (I've attached pictures of it here). I'm trying to figure out how to get leather raised to create this kind of design. I created a line art pattern for the symbols (in actual scale) and brought it to a local leather place, but they were completely clueless as to how it could be done...so I thought I'd try this forum out.

post-29906-071172800 1332052720_thumb.jp

Hi. Welcome.

I think what you want is called repousse or sometimes repousse embossing. The basics are given on the Tandy website (http://blog.leatherc...rlie-davenport/). In a nutshell, you press the design forward from the flesh side of the cased leather, raising the pattern up. I can also recommend you look at some of Clay B's stuff, he's an excellent artist who does "extreme embossing".

Edit: I forgot. You'll have to use veg tan (tooling) leather. You won't be able to repousse anything else.

Edited by WinterBear

Yes...thank you WinterBear! Looks like repousse is indeed the technique most likely used. However (based on Charlie Davenport's tutorial) looks to be a fairly sophisticated process and one I would have to seek out a willing person of skill to take on. Before I go searching elsewhere, would you happen to know anyone who could be hired to take on a project like this? Thanks again!

I'm afraid I don't know of anyone, but I could suggest the Help Wanted section of this board (link below)? You might be able to contract out someone with experience do the repousse panels, and perhaps have your local leather shop finish the jacket.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showforum=54