Sign in to follow this  
cwa11is

sucked in by you people

Hello from Texas,

I'm not a leather person at all. My specialty is steel forging and fabrication. I started making custom iron for my motorcycle and found the need for a custom seat that did not exist for my bike in the style I wanted (at least for a price I was willing to pay). I researched and researched and finally got up the nerve to try my own hand at making a seat. I made this seat pan from fiberglass, carved my own foam, finally broke down and bought a side of chap hide from tandy and dove in aimlessly at an attempt to produce a Corbin-style 2-up seat for my 2007 softail. I stumbled across this site while researching how to sew leather and found examples of work from some of you master craftspeople. Here is my first attempt at covering a 3-d shape with leather and I am truly inspired to do a real "from scratch" tooling and dyeing project for the sissy bar pad and eventually more seats. Anyway, here is my start and thank you all for the knowlege shared here. I think I just found a new addiction.

myseat2.JPG

myseat1.JPG

seat3

seat4

post-6771-1215474603_thumb.jpg

post-6771-1215474696_thumb.jpg

CWA that is awesome for a first try at leather upholstery. Keep it up!

CWA

That's a beautiful seat on what appears to be an awesome bike. I think though, you're pullin our leg about a first attempt.

Keep up the great work. You'll find some of the most beautiful leather work in almost any category on this site.

I think though, you're pullin our leg about a first attempt.

hey, I'll second that.....great job CWA! And, if that really is your first attempt..... :jawdropper: wow!

That looks great, very smooth and nice. I have to second other opinion bout pulling our legs here, lol.

Welcome to a fun addiction (don't know if I mean leathworker.net or leatherwork here;-)

Tom

:wtf:  Dude!!!!! There are people doing this sort of work that can't even touch your level of quality. This is an awesome piece. Totally Pro from the word go!  I will say that I have to put a second on your comment of wanting something but not being able to afford the prices that others want you to pay. I honestly think that anyone you contacted before to do this job for you were probably only half as good as you.  The bike is sweet and you have the pride of knowing you created and crafted the seat.

Yes you were sucked into the vortex that is Leatherworker.net.  Glad to have ya here.

Storm

Wow!

Thanks for the positive responses. I thought I would get a shrug from the plain design and maybe some tips on embellishing. This honestly was the first time I ever put a pair of scissors and a needle to leather or any other upholstery-type material for that matter. I have to admit that I do have an extensive background in graphic design, illustration, and sculpture though. I am greatly inspired from what I have seen here on these forums and I want to incorporate leather work into my iron work. I will contribute advice as soon as I think I know anything about what I am talking about as far as leather is concerned. I'll be heading to Tandy first thing in the morning for some stamps, swivel knives and veg tan. Thanks again.

Chris

Chris,

If I might add something else. Please do not down play the clean lines and simplicity of what you created.  It is primo craftsmanship. I can carve the hell out of leather but you have the gift of fabricating  your idea and not just decorating something. You combine your attention to detail and throw in some good carving and they will be beating a path to your doorstep and you will find that your price will be higher than most.

Storm

P.S. Tommy is right! This is a freaking addiction of the best kind.  

Edited by Storm

I'll be heading to Tandy first thing in the morning for some stamps, swivel knives and veg tan. Thanks again.

Chris

Can't wait to see what you do with those!! :rockon: