Freedom

Fender Leg Length?

I was wondering what length fender leg you guys use with a Blevins buckle??

I thought 12" was kind of standard, but that seems to place the blevins to high.

I plan to twist and bind the stirrups so I want to be sure that I allow enough length for that. Can I cut the leg to 10 1/2"?? .. 3 1/2" from fender bottom to stirrup fold is the plan....

I don't want the blevins to land on the rigging ring or hang up on the cinch buckle/latigo if I can help it.

I rode a saddle for a while that had the blevins real low and it seemed to hurt the front of my ankle...so I want to avoid this if I can help it.

It is for a lady, the saddle will have a dropped in skirt rigging. The fenders are 17 1/2"

I really appreciate any measurements/ advise you guys would share.

Thanks

All my fender legs are 10 - 10 1/2", and I twist and wrap most of them. I also use primarily 2 1/2" stirrup leathers. JW

All my fender legs are 10 - 10 1/2", and I twist and wrap most of them. I also use primarily 2 1/2" stirrup leathers. JW

Thank you very much JW for taking the time to answer my question...I sure appreciate it!

We use 12 inch legs when we are going to use a twist. On leathers that will be turned only we use the 10 as JW does. I assume we are talking about blevin style buckles, and 3 inch leathers. As a guy who does a lot of repairs I would prefer the fender leg to be an inch to long rather than an inch to short because sometimes it is handy to be able to trim off the original rivet holes when doing a stirrup leather replacement with out getting the leg to short. Often there is moisture damage to the blevin rivet area.... Jeff

Like Jim, I use 10 1/2" length with a predominantly 2 1/2" width, unless specifically requested by the customer.

Bob