rmr

Hand Operated Clicker: Weaver Or Texas Custom Dies

I have gotten to the point where there are about 5-6 shapes ( moderate amount of curves per piece) I use over and over in the manufacturing of gun cases that I am considering having a cutting die made and getting a clicker. Im a pretty small operation- more of a hobby than anything so Im not looking at a high production clicker. Speed isnt the most important thing either- but any die I suspect will be quicker and neater than what Im doing. I also dont want something that will take up a huge amount or room.

I have been looking at 2 systems over the yeras but would like any positive or negative feedback on the two. Weavers hand operated, swivel away, clicker which is now on sale 25% off ( at 750), or Texas Custom Dies has a manual 12 ton clicker for 450, but I think I need to buy a clicker bed for it which If Im correct will put the cost up in the range of 550-600.

any thoughts, or recommendations??

RMR

I have gotten to the point where there are about 5-6 shapes ( moderate amount of curves per piece) I use over and over in the manufacturing of gun cases that I am considering having a cutting die made and getting a clicker. Im a pretty small operation- more of a hobby than anything so Im not looking at a high production clicker. Speed isnt the most important thing either- but any die I suspect will be quicker and neater than what Im doing. I also dont want something that will take up a huge amount or room.

I have been looking at 2 systems over the yeras but would like any positive or negative feedback on the two. Weavers hand operated, swivel away, clicker which is now on sale 25% off ( at 750), or Texas Custom Dies has a manual 12 ton clicker for 450, but I think I need to buy a clicker bed for it which If Im correct will put the cost up in the range of 550-600.

any thoughts, or recommendations??

RMR: How many of these pieces do you need per month and how many holsters are you selling per month? I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a manual clicker as you're going to get real tired of it in short order. Also, what kind of money do you want to or can spend? You could find someone in your area with a clicker and pay to have them click out some inventory for you-Weaver does that. Also, ther are big auctions coming up: Weaver" and others. They're all advertised in Leathercrafters journal and shop talk. I went through some of what you are experiencing and I opted to spend a little more and bought a Tippman-I've it for 10 or 12 years I guess and it doesn't miss a beat. Just some food for thought , I hope. Good luck! Tackman

RMR

I bought one from weaver, but it was the shop press style. I'm really not impressed with it to be honest! You cant see what you're clicking and it has limitations on size of material that will fit in it. I'd get it cut by someone else... Or buy a real deal swing head clicker! -Andrew

Have you considered making your own? I meant cost of the product plus shipping to NH? I have a friend who built his own and he has cut many shapes and hides on it. It is manual, but it works for his small shop. He has also allowed me to use it. It does give you a work out, but you will save some money. The main machine can be picked up at Habor Frieght or other outlets.

Good luck in your search.

Hydraulic_Cutting_Press_ShoeSchool.pdf