Leather Girl

Cobra 4 And Fur

I have a new Cobra 4, however the big question is will it sew muskrat, mink, fox, raccoon etc. I have all these furs that used to be fur coats, i want to turn them into elk and fur muffs.

Thanks,

Randi-Lee

You'll need to back off the top and bobbin tensions and use a very small needle and thread, like a #18 needle with #69 thread, or a #19 needle with #92 thread.

Other changes that might help feed the fur are to back off the presser foot adjuster until it almost pops out and possibly swap out the smooth feed dog for the one that has teeth, if you got that with the machine.

Note: the feed dog screw is sometimes installed with Loctite Blue and may be very difficult to remove.

In lieu of the tooth style feeder, you can just remove the feeder entirely, then install the throat plate with the narrow slot. The low presser tension and needle feed should suffice to feed fur, inside out. You will be sewing seams on the flesh sides, then folding them inside out when finished.

If this doesn't play out as expected, look for a used but working fur sewing machine (with two cups).

Thank you for the advice, I will have to try that.

Randi-Lee