Sign in to follow this  
Peter Darby

Not A Seax Sheath

Here are a couple of sheaths based on finds in the York area of England. The construction techniques are as close to original as I could make them and the design, while my own creation, is similiar to the original motiff with a differentiated handle and blade decoration. Whether or not they are viking or angelo saxon sheaths you can take your pick and probably be right.

The interesting thing from a leatherworking standpoint is how they did the backstitching. They cut out the pattern and put the design on nearer the middle of the flat piece of leather. they then folded the leather in half and stitched the edges together using a loose whip stitch. Then they began to work the sewed edge toward the back so it can't be seen from the front. Once you get the design centered on the knife you tighten up the stitching, put the knife in and do a little forming and let dry. You end up with a totally backed stitched knife sheath in about an hour. The dark knife sheath is mine and the lighter colored one is my wifes.

post-18783-041661900 1334235204_thumb.jp

Really nice work Peter. I've made several Coppergate style sheaths and have always done it the hard way...it never occured to me to just just loosely stitch the seam and then move it to the back. Genius; a proper light-bulb moment.

Would you mind posting a pic of the backside. I'd love to see what I think you mean :)

Daggrim

Would you mind posting a pic of the backside. I'd love to see what I think you mean :)

Daggrim

Daggrim,

Here is a picture. Not the best, but I think you can see how I twisted the stitching up the back. The meandering edges and the thread holes on the original sheaths are what clued me in on how it seems to have been done..

post-18783-050609300 1334575347_thumb.jp

Edited by Peter Darby