edgeleatherworks

Best Book For Leather Cases/bags

Hey guys, I'm kind of out of projects for now and I want to move to a little larger/harder projects. I want to learn how to make small to mid size bags/saddles/cases for like outdoors uses. Things for like hunting and fishing or camping... I would eventually like to make a rifle case or bow case, and definatly a quiver! Anyone know of a good book from personal experience , not just google something and post it?? Basically I want a good overall book with many projects.

Also, for the guys who have been doing this for awhile, what would you reccomend the next step be? I've done the smaller projects... Wallet,money clip, etc... What did you do or think was the best NEXT project to take on or do? I apprecfiate all the help!

Thanks

God bless

The three Al Stohlman case making books are must haves. I refer to them all the time.

Good luck,

Steve

Hey guys, I'm kind of out of projects for now and I want to move to a little larger/harder projects. I want to learn how to make small to mid size bags/saddles/cases for like outdoors uses. Things for like hunting and fishing or camping... I would eventually like to make a rifle case or bow case, and definatly a quiver! Anyone know of a good book from personal experience , not just google something and post it?? Basically I want a good overall book with many projects.

Also, for the guys who have been doing this for awhile, what would you reccomend the next step be? I've done the smaller projects... Wallet,money clip, etc... What did you do or think was the best NEXT project to take on or do? I apprecfiate all the help!

Thanks

God bless

The three Al Stohlman case making books are must haves. I refer to them all the time.

Good luck,

Steve

Awesome, thanks Steve that was actually the ones I was looking into.

Anyone else got anyfeedback before I make the order? Thanks

I'll second Stohlman's Art of Making Leather Cases series. It's a set of three books with projects that get progressively bigger and more complex. Vol. 1 starts with small sheaths and belt pouches. Vol. 2 moves on to briefcases, document cases, and other common bags. Vol. 3 is rifle cases, golf bags, guitar cases, and other big items.Even if you don't want to make your own variations on the patterns, it should keep you busy for quite some time.Some of the projects are out of date, but the techniques are exactly what you want to learn.

We really need to get this thread or another one recommending the Art of Making Leather Cases series pinned. They get suggested a couple times a week it seems like.

Edited by Glendon

Get every Al Stohlman book you can get your hands on. There is such a wealth of information to be had.

One of the best skills to master in my opinion is hand stitching. That would be the very next book on my list.

Get every Al Stohlman book you can get your hands on. There is such a wealth of information to be had.

Couldn't agree more. Diagrams are arguably better in some other books, but on the whole you can't beat them.

One of the best skills to master in my opinion is hand stitching. That would be the very next book on my list.

Well either that, or you could drop a few grand on a decent leather sewing machine. And you'd still have to learn a new skill.

Awesome, thanks guys a ton!

I'll be ordering my first Volume this afternoon!

Another great little book by Al Stohlman is Projects & Designs. I mainly deals with small projects, but this book will teach you principals that can be used on larger projects - just like books 1 thru 3 on making cases. Although you may not want to make a camera case, thermos cover, walkie-talkie holster, etc., the principals will teach you the proper techniques to use so you can look at an item, or imagine and visualize what you want t make and use the techniques to design your own project to your specs and not someone else's.

Look at the proper methods of designing the straps, handles, ways to secure a lid or closure, attach a belt loop, and you can make anyting without someone's pattern. Along with crafting, fabricating is a huge amount of a fun challenge and results in a whole new level of satisfaction.

Edited by GoldenKnight

Really !!!! Outdoor stuff ,hunting bags etc ??? Now you are in my territory for sure . Okay look at www.twistedfringe.com for starters. Real marriage of techniques here . Next go take a look at www.crazycrow.com cruise their catalog . To further your journey :www.shipwreckbeads.com So now you have enough for a couple of week ends . LOL Send me a PM if you wish more .If you can find it look for a coffee table book called : The Art Of Jame Bama . If you can bring some of his art to life you will enjoy the journey . At least a dozen new techniques are needed for this little journey . String and lace cutting ,fringe cutting 4,6,8, strand round braiding . 3,strand flat plait , serious hand sewing ,graph paper and pattern making for starters . Bill

post-21599-0-15203700-1351980573_thumb.j

post-21599-0-61538300-1351980599_thumb.j

post-21599-0-46131700-1351980619_thumb.j

post-21599-0-49868200-1351980706_thumb.j

post-21599-0-39315600-1351980748_thumb.j

post-21599-0-37976800-1351980776_thumb.j

post-21599-0-52576300-1351980944_thumb.j

post-21599-0-78732900-1351980977_thumb.j

Edited by bluesman1951

This is exactly the items that got me into the hobby! I love your shell pouches.

Really !!!! Outdoor stuff ,hunting bags etc ??? Now you are in my territory for sure . Okay look at www.twistedfringe.com for starters. Real marriage of techniques here . Next go take a look at www.crazycrow.com cruise their catalog . To further your journey :www.shipwreckbeads.com So now you have enough for a couple of week ends . LOL Send me a PM if you wish more .If you can find it look for a coffee table book called : The Art Of Jame Bama . If you can bring some of his art to life you will enjoy the journey . At least a dozen new techniques are needed for this little journey . String and lace cutting ,fringe cutting 4,6,8, strand round braiding . 3,strand flat plait , serious hand sewing ,graph paper and pattern making for starters . Bill

This is exactly the items that got me into the hobby! I love your shell pouches.

These pictures are not my work . They are from my library of things I enjoyed . They are meant for inspriation . I had hope you would enjoy and be inspired . These are just a stepping off point for your leather journey . Bill