Egraham

Oh Snap!

Am I the only one that has trouble setting snaps? I have tried different kinds & even took my tools into the store (to make sure I had the right ones).... I just cant seem to do it right,, & the line 20's just bend over or strip out..... why is this so difficult?? Please help... :)

Am I the only one that has trouble setting snaps? I have tried different kinds & even took my tools into the store (to make sure I had the right ones).... I just cant seem to do it right,, & the line 20's just bend over or strip out..... why is this so difficult?? Please help... :)

Oh Snap lol love that

I hope someone chimes in because I have the same problem!

Eric

I had the same problem, hard to evenly apply the pressure to the snap part. Went to Harbor Freight and got a 1 ton arbor press, drilled it to fit my tools. This allows even pressure to be applied. My second press was based on a complete die set for everything I do. This is one I took to a metal shop and for 15$ they did the drilling and line it up perfectly. Not at shop so can not add photo.

Edit: I make a lot of my tools. Current project "Metal Etcher" replying from phone

which does not allow me to upload photos from it.

Edited by TacticallySharp

Sounds like the shaft is too long. A lot of times I have to cut it off to make it the right length I need. I just use the wire cutter part of my pliers to cut the right length, which mashes the shaft flat, then use the pliers to squeeze it back open, then use a scratch awl to round it back out (don't hold it in your hand). Actually, if you hold it in your hand, you will stab yourself and learn the lesson not to hold it in your hand.

Hope that helps,

Kevin

Sounds like the shaft is too long. A lot of times I have to cut it off to make it the right length I need. I just use the wire cutter part of my pliers to cut the right length, which mashes the shaft flat, then use the pliers to squeeze it back open, then use a scratch awl to round it back out (don't hold it in your hand). Actually, if you hold it in your hand, you will stab yourself and learn the lesson not to hold it in your hand.

Hope that helps,

Kevin

I agree that the shaft is probably too long for the leather you're using! I had the same problem and switched to using shorter-shafted snaps and the problem disappeared.

I use a snap setter, it is a little pricey but with all the dies I have I can set 20, 24, rivets, and a myriad of other stuff. Every one is perfect and they look professional. Easy as a snap!

Ken

post-6362-052216000 1337999617_thumb.jpg

There's a trick to it. Setting your snap should sound like this: tap...tap...taptaptaptaptaptaptaptap. It should not be in a single blow.

Use light strikes to get the mouth of the tube to start bending over. You may even have to hold the setter at a bit of an angle and "walk" it around the mouth to get the initial bell. Please take a look at the tubes and see if the mouth is slightly curled inward (All the Tandy snaps I had seemed that way). If it is, it's where something like a tubing cutter (but on mass production scale) was used to trim it to length. The mouth of the snap should be straight walled, with ZERO inward curve. If it does have a curve, you'll need to use something to straighten it out. I use an old pair of scissors that are tapered enough to get into the tube and flare it out when I twist them.

If you try to set the snap with the tube mouth curved in, it'll transfer all the force further down the tube and you get what you have - folding over.

I was having fits over this very thing. I got the same press that Chief linked and, even though it's a little pricey, I counted it as an investment well spent since I don't worry a customer is going to call me that a snap or rivet failed.

In my opinion, I'd rather spend 200 bucks now than lose even one customers.

Twinoaks has it - its not a single blow but needs to be walked around the mouth, gently. AND make sure it's the appropriate length for the thickness of the leather you're using.Osborne make a setter - less than $20 so might be worth considering.

https://www.osborneleathertools.com/product_details.php?pid=307

I use a cone tipped type punch I got at Home Depot to flare the snap first, then tap around with my tandy setter until it seats. Works well for me.

Yes! I am also completely hopeless at snaps - so much so that I've avoided them for 3 years.

Asked everyone I could find, took my tools in to stores, and the best advice I got was to buy that Tandy setter which I was not interested in.

Discovered the CS Osborne setters kits mentioned above a couple months ago and they've been a total 360 - perfect line 24 and 20 snaps every time with just one blow. They also work perfectly in my 1 ton arbor press when I need to keep it quiet. I would highly recommend them - $50 for both sizes vs almost $300 to get the Tandy press with two sets of dies and you don't need to bolt them to a bench.

Yes! I had the exact same problem and did as you did - took my tools with me to different stores, asked everyone I could get a hold of, and was told to get the Tandy press which was too much $$ to justify. In 3 years I was never able to set a proper snap.

Discovered the CS Osborne setter kits mentioned above a couple months ago and it's been a 360 turnaround. Perfect snaps every time with just one blow.

They also work beautifully in my modified arbor press when I need to work quietly. I couldn't recommend them enough for the terminally snap-challenged.

$50 to get both line 20 and 24 vs. $300 to get the Tandy press with 2 sets of dies plus they take up less space and you don't need to bolt them to a bench.

If you're only working with the smaller line 20's it's only $17 but CS Osborne direct requires a $25 min order.

I found the line 24 set at Western Costume for $30.