ValleyEquine

Can I Buy Mechanical Hackamore Shanks?

Hello! I was wondering if anyone knows of a source to purchase metal shanks for mechanical hackamores, where you can then attach a noseband and curb strap that you've made?

I found one store, runningbear.com, that sells hackamore cheeks seperately from the noseband, however they cost $75. And there are some UK stores selling a particular model of cheek pieces, but I don't want to have to pay oversees shipping.

Are there any "supply" type stores that cater to the tack/saddle maker who sell hackamore shanks for a lower price?

Hello! I was wondering if anyone knows of a source to purchase metal shanks for mechanical hackamores, where you can then attach a noseband and curb strap that you've made?

I found one store, runningbear.com, that sells hackamore cheeks seperately from the noseband, however they cost $75. And there are some UK stores selling a particular model of cheek pieces, but I don't want to have to pay oversees shipping.

Are there any "supply" type stores that cater to the tack/saddle maker who sell hackamore shanks for a lower price?

I was facing a similar challenge in order to get crescent bridle pieces made up for a dressage bridle, and I know the parts you're speaking of because I believe they are on the same page as the shanks you will have seen (from Abbey Saddlery).

I emailed around to a bunch of machine shops, and eventually found Lasemann Cuts Ltd up here in Alberta. The did a set of crescent pieces, engraved with the name of the person and horse who I was getting them made for, out of stainless for $23 . They were just blanks, however, with rough edges from the laser, but if you're willing to invest the 6-odd hours of polishing that I did it's a choice. This were a present for someone special, so the shape and engraving were more important to me then economy.

Cheers,

Adam