DoubleC

Need Help With A One Ear Headstall

I'm making my first bridle and I want to make it one eared. I have a pattern but the instructions simply tell you to cut the leather a certain length, etc. I seem to have this idea that the ear piece should start out on a curve then straighten out. Also I have a silver plate cantle piece I bought way back specifically for a one ear but although it's very light and flexible, it's an inch wide. A regular ear piece would be 3/4". Do you think this would annoy the horse? Thanks in advance because I'm having problems figuring out how to cut the leather. Cheryl

Your never going to be able to bend that piece to where it will work. Cut your leather to the length they say in your instructions sew it togeather. Then wet it and form your U shape you will probley need to tack it till it drys and it will hold the shape. Tack it in your stitch holes.

Cantle pieces do not have the proper curve to make a nice fitting ear piece. Go to Montana Silversmiths web site and see the curve you need. As far as the leather is concerned I always cut my ear pieces on the bias. The fit is much better.

Thanks John. I think that's where I got it from their store on eBay or it came from there. I bent it gently by hand last night, it really is light metal but the width concerns me. I think I'll forget about that part f the design. It could be adjusted after it was on the horse to the horse but I just don't think I'll use it. Cheryl

Oh heck, that was Longtooth that mentioned Montana.....Sorry. I was thinking about getting the length I needed from the pattern and the using a coffee cup to start the middle of the cut and going straight or angled out from there with my straight edge. I'll see if that works and sew it on and see how it looks. Thanks, Cheryl