Sign in to follow this  
Razith

Thermometer Preferance?

Okay everyone, looking to start making a shoulder guard, and one issue that I'm having is finding a good thermometer for heating my water. I plan to heat the water around 175ish and harden it from there. Just looking for some good suggestions for what to get. I've looked into Meat thermometers, and while I think they'd work, I'd rather steer clear of digital ones unless I have to(call me old timey) and a Candy Thermometers range is to broad for my liking(100F-400F O.o ). So maybe just let me know what you have luck with if that's not to much trouble. I want one that'll last, I'm good with my tools, so I 'hopefully' won't be breaking it anytime soon. Thanks all.

-Razith

Sounds like maybe you want a "lab thermometer". They come in varying ranges, so you can pick the span you want. You'd probably want what is known as a "total immersion" thermometer, which means that if it gets dropped into the water, the scale won't be hurt (candy thermometers have holes that can let fluids in if the top accidentally gets submerged). They are usually accurate, and most chemistry thermomemeters will state how accurate (e.g., accurate within 2 degrees, 3 degrees, etc.) Some will have a loop so it can be suspended (beats holding on to it). So...maybe something like this?: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00551NSNK/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

Sounds like maybe you want a "lab thermometer". They come in varying ranges, so you can pick the span you want. You'd probably want what is known as a "total immersion" thermometer, which means that if it gets dropped into the water, the scale won't be hurt (candy thermometers have holes that can let fluids in if the top accidentally gets submerged). They are usually accurate, and most chemistry thermomemeters will state how accurate (e.g., accurate within 2 degrees, 3 degrees, etc.) Some will have a loop so it can be suspended (beats holding on to it). So...maybe something like this?: http://www.amazon.co...f=biss_dp_t_asn

That is exactly what I am looking for WinterBear, thank you so much.