Sign in to follow this  
kwelna

Buckmark Holster And Mag Pouch

I am getting into shooting steel challenges both center fire and rim fire.

Looking around I could not find a decent looking holster for the Buckmark, especially one with optics

So I designed my own. I will say that I could not have done so with out the information I pulled from this site!

The holster is made from a scrap piece of 9-10 leather and is lined with a piece of 2-3 goat and the mag pouch is made from a molded piece of 8-9 on the front and the back is made by laminating a piece of 5-6 and a piece of 3-4.

I made the the holster just a tiny bit tight to aid in retention. Since you do not draw from a holster in rim fire steel challenges, the additional snugness is not a detriment.

I am a novice leather worker so if you feel so inclined, please critique both the design and my work. Any insight you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

post-30237-057790000 1338232429_thumb.jp

post-30237-076725000 1338232501_thumb.jp

post-30237-083773400 1338232510_thumb.jp

post-30237-086272800 1338232594_thumb.jp

post-30237-079594800 1338232616_thumb.jp

I am getting into shooting steel challenges both center fire and rim fire.

Looking around I could not find a decent looking holster for the Buckmark, especially one with optics

So I designed my own. I will say that I could not have done so with out the information I pulled from this site!

The holster is made from a scrap piece of 9-10 leather and is lined with a piece of 2-3 goat and the mag pouch is made from a molded piece of 8-9 on the front and the back is made by laminating a piece of 5-6 and a piece of 3-4.

I made the the holster just a tiny bit tight to aid in retention. Since you do not draw from a holster in rim fire steel challenges, the additional snugness is not a detriment.

I am a novice leather worker so if you feel so inclined, please critique both the design and my work. Any insight you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I really like that...not bad for a "scrap piece" of leather...i bet it was a chore sticking that though..what is it at the seam, 24 ounce?...i was gonna say you could space your sticking a little closer, but with the leather being that thick, i can see why it isn't 6 spi....good job!

For a first holster, . . . good job, . . . far above my "first" one.

Look at some different patterns, . . . you'll see that putting a patch on the back for a belt loop is not the best way, . . . but that is the worst critic I have. Otherwise, good work. Welcome to leather working, . . .

May God bless,

Dwight

Definitely not bad at all.

To add to what has already been said, I would suggest this:

If you were to have to draw it from the holster, you would want a little more clearance for your fingers between the grip and the leather around the trigger guard.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I do appreciate the input. Next is a holster for a Para Ordinance 45/14. I am thinking of having a pinup girl carved into the leather. I do have to draw from this holster so i am thinking of a yaqui (sp?) style but a bit larger to accomdate the pinup girl. Hey it's all about the presentation. I am an average shot with a pistol so I have to dazzel 'em with something other than my shooting prowess or lack there of.