Chavez

Groovers

Hi!

I did a bit of searching and I couldn't find much on various types of groovers.

So far I've been using a regular tandy groover and I've even started getting more or less consistent results with it.

How does it compare to Hidecrafter's stitch groovers and hidecrafter's & osborne's scratch compasses? Which one is the preferred tool for pros and why?

Thanks!

Hi Chavez,

I swear that last year or so, Tandy came out with an improved design of the groover, and someone on this site reviewed it and really liked what they did with it. But I just tried searching for that review and couldn't find it. I personally just use the Tandy one and it works, though I'm not a pro and I don't do a lot of hand stitching, so I'm no expert.

Bob

If I was going to use just one, it would be the Tandy one that came out a year ago. It makes a nice groove and pretty easy to run. The blades seem to be fairly consistant too. I have a few others - the larger of the Tandy offset groovers (Saddler's groover?), the Osborne #34 with the loop tips, Osborne #129, had a couple Osborne #130s, and the patent leather tools/freehand groovers. They each have their own advantages. I use the compasses for work with more curves, the freehands to take off top sttiches to pull a stitch line for repairs, and the other Tandy if it is close by.

If I was going to use just one, it would be the Tandy one that came out a year ago. It makes a nice groove and pretty easy to run. The blades seem to be fairly consistant too. I have a few others - the larger of the Tandy offset groovers (Saddler's groover?), the Osborne #34 with the loop tips, Osborne #129, had a couple Osborne #130s, and the patent leather tools/freehand groovers. They each have their own advantages. I use the compasses for work with more curves, the freehands to take off top sttiches to pull a stitch line for repairs, and the other Tandy if it is close by.

Bruce,

Tandy has 3 groovers, Which one is the new one?

Thanks

Michael

Michael, It is the "Pro Stitching groover". The other Tandy I have is the EZ adjust. It is pretty alright too.

Thank you sir.

Michael

The Tandy groover is pretty easy to use compared to the Horseshoe Brand groover I bought about two months ago. I can't get it to track straight, it keeps wanting to walk towards the edge making me use some colorful metaphors.

I've included a picture of the Tandy groover I use, it is the Pro Stitching Groover perviously mentioned. I have no problem with it and use it quite often.

Ken

post-6362-057517700 1338515476_thumb.jpg

I use the same style groover, but I believe I got mine from GoodsJapan. Absolutely the easiest tool for a newcomer to pick up and use perfectly the first time. At times I have used it freehand for initials and such. Works pretty good for that also. For a decorative groove further from the edge I have used a small allen wrench for the guide.

The new Tandy PRO Groover works well. The old style Tandy groovers in current production are not made well and show shoddy production, the older ones (mine are 15 or more years old) are excellent, I have a bunch of those. Douglas Versa Groover works well once you get the hang of it. Ron's Tools freehand groovers are great, work really well with straight edge and also you can make grooves (uncut) with a screw crease (or non-screw) and follow-up with the freehand if you want.

Art

I've got the one from Goods Japan as well and found this one is better quality than the Tandy one I got yesterday, I'd ordered just the replacement blade (doing a lot of sewing channels at the moment and wanted a spare) but it looks like the supplier was out of them and sent me the whole thing. In these photos the Tandy one is on the left, the Goods Japan one is branded Seiwa. After getting this one make sure you check the tip if you go for the Tandy one.

Cheers,

Clair

post-4562-033161600 1338603382_thumb.jpg

post-4562-028581300 1338603410_thumb.jpg

post-4562-041077400 1338603581_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

I was looking at the hidecrafter's range and I was considering getting the scratch compass, but I've read that these compasses take a while to get used to and are not any better than regular adjustable groovers... I'll go for tandy or goods japan then=)

I've noticed on the Tandy stuff that the placement of the hole in the groover is not good. Sometimes too high to bite at all and requires additional grinding. Goods Japan seems to be better.

Art