Sign in to follow this  
coppervsbrass

Weaver Master Vs Ma Series Iii Manual Clickers

Can anyone offer any insight regarding the pros and cons of these two presses? The weaver press is about $1000, I think that the MA series III is a bit more. Worth the extra money? Or is there something else entirely I should be looking at?

Can anyone offer any insight regarding the pros and cons of these two presses? The weaver press is about $1000, I think that the MA series III is a bit more. Worth the extra money? Or is there something else entirely I should be looking at?

All of my embossing (actual imprinting) and clicking is done with an antique book press. At the Sheridan Show, last month, I was able to take some plates to test the weaver press. It did as well as my book press and did have a feature that I like--you could "over center" the press so the pressure would remain on the project until you went back and released it. That would make for a better impression. Also, the pressure with the weaver press was almost even across the plates. You still had to move the item to get even pressure over the whole project, just like I have to with my book press, but not as much. It still amazes me how powerful and versatile a plain old book press (actually a nipping press) is to work with leather. I've seen book presses for as little as $300, but usually closer to the $900 make where the weaver press is.

Here is what a nipping press looks like:

http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catalog/product_specific.cfm?ClientID=15&ProductID=18204

Bob Stelmack

www.pslac.org