Sign in to follow this  
Mudruck

S&w J Frame Pocket/iwb

Latest one heading out the door tomorrow.

Just a simple pocket/IWB holster for those popular J-Frames. Had to stitch it in three 'parts'. (across the top of the re-enforcing band, across the bottom of the band and then one continuous stitch down the side that holds the end of the band and then comes out from under it down the rest of the seam.) It was a little more work, but I thought that would look best to get the long seam to close all the way up and not be double stitched at the ends. Went pretty light on the boning and molding, it already has good retention and I wanted the pistol to come free of the holster when you draw it from your pocket.

What do ya'll think?

post-20113-095373200 1339742034_thumb.jp

post-20113-050427500 1339742043_thumb.jp

Latest one heading out the door tomorrow.

Just a simple pocket/IWB holster for those popular J-Frames. Had to stitch it in three 'parts'. (across the top of the re-enforcing band, across the bottom of the band and then one continuous stitch down the side that holds the end of the band and then comes out from under it down the rest of the seam.) It was a little more work, but I thought that would look best to get the long seam to close all the way up and not be double stitched at the ends. Went pretty light on the boning and molding, it already has good retention and I wanted the pistol to come free of the holster when you draw it from your pocket.

What do ya'll think?

From the old grump: Although I'm not a big fan of IWB holsters, you done good. I like it, and IMO more boning or molding isn't necessary, especially for an IWB. I have carried my old M-36 in just this simple pouch (well, or one like it - this is the second one I built) for over 50 years --- on and off. Primarily in the warm weather, which is most of the time here in the desert. Left handed, it sits at the 7:30 area, snugged into my chubbies and covers well with a loose shirt. Mike

003-5.jpg

Edited by katsass

With much due respect , why do makers decorate IWB , and most especially pocket holsters - they are afterall concealed ? I'm a big fan of pocket holsters , simple and easy to ditch and don .

Chris

With much due respect , why do makers decorate IWB , and most especially pocket holsters - they are afterall concealed ? I'm a big fan of pocket holsters , simple and easy to ditch and don .

Chris

Because decorating a holster makes it custom...why does anybody spend 60 plus on a holster when you can get an uncle mikes for 12 bucks???..same reason....function of a holster is only part of an equation...people dont just want something..they want something they are proud to have...springfield armory selld a no frills 1911 for around 500-600 bucks...its a workhorse, tight slide to frame fit, accurate, and dependable...yet people by the droves still go out and buy kimbers, wilson combats, nighthawks, and les bear custom 1911...are they more dependable?..nope...more accurate???nope...more pleasing to the eye??..you betcha...same thing with holsters...and for me, buying a 12 dollar holster for a 600 dollar gun is like putting a cheap tasco on a Blaser....my 2 cents....

Chris

I have to agree it is some what a matter of pride. I could take a piece of scrap leather wrap it around the pistol for size, stitch a seam down the side and have a plain jane cheap pouch type pocket holster done in a bout 15 minutes. But what fun is that. You don't need herman oak tandy would work fine becuase no one will see it, but were is the pride in that. If I make a holster for myself I indulge my self and use good leather and ocasionally tool a design or use a little exotic trim (yes even if it is going in my pocket) both for practice and as an ego stroker. When I make a holster for some one else I do tooling on request regardless of weather its going in a pocket ofr not, it is there CUSTOM ordered holster. I use good leather and do the best i can tooling and dying so that they have a holster they can be proud of and will show others. Also when you take the holster out at night and lay it on your dresser or where ever do you want to look at an old ratty pouch of leather or a work of art. Even the one that Katsass has pictured although plain is nice looking and well done. Why do people who are going to conceal a weapon have fancy wood grips laser etched grips and sometimes even engraving done to their weapons, it's pride and personal customization it's not like some one elses it theirs.

Edited by camano ridge

I get where you guys are comming from . Just call me Uber coservative . I much prefer ruff out for IWB and pocket rigs , tends to stay in place better . A stiffening band /trim is a tad bit questionable for civilians , where "tactical reholstering " isn't likley . It also makes a pocket rig more likley to print . For LE , at least for plainclothes duty rigs it's quite important .

Just the ramblings of a conservative old fart .

At the end of the day , it's what the customer wants . ( unless his concept is downright dangerous )

Chris

Back to the origin of this thread. I like the holster, looks good.

Scott