Sign in to follow this  
Abram

Stitch Lines

I studied quite a few topics before I delved into making my own holsters and in every case the author wrote to take the width of the gun and dive it in half, then add the thickness of the leather. So far my holsters have come out okay, but my question in this, if you have a semi auto pistol where do you take the measurement from, I have a Springfield XD and at the widest points it measures 1.18", that is the measurement I used. You can also find a measurement of 1.09", would you use that? What about the slide release, it makes the measurement of 1.18 even wider. I want to hear some of the opinions of the more seasoned among us.

Thank you

The half width plus leather is a "rule of thumb" It's a baseline starting point. It's one of those things that you have to figure out yourself and tweak as you go...trial and error. I have yet to get a perfect stitch line spacing on my first attempt with a new gun. for me It's always, make one up and adjust the stitch line as needed on the next one. I will say that I have found that if I add the leather thickness part it's too lose for me. I always start out with just the half thickness of the slide on an auto. Don't add in the slide stop etc you'll probably be too lose. Start with the thickest part of the slide and see what you get.

If leather work could be done with mathematical calculations alone anyone could do it...trial and error.

I studied quite a few topics before I delved into making my own holsters and in every case the author wrote to take the width of the gun and dive it in half, then add the thickness of the leather. So far my holsters have come out okay, but my question in this, if you have a semi auto pistol where do you take the measurement from, I have a Springfield XD and at the widest points it measures 1.18", that is the measurement I used. You can also find a measurement of 1.09", would you use that? What about the slide release, it makes the measurement of 1.18 even wider. I want to hear some of the opinions of the more seasoned among us.

Thank you

FWIW from the grump: I KNOW, for example, that the width of a Govt. Model .45 is AROUND 1" , just as I KNOW that the cylinder diameter of a .38/.357 Colt, S&W, and most makers other than Ruger , is about an 1 1/2". I can eyeball a half inch or 3/4 inch pretty well and go from there when drawing my patterns. And remember, wet leather stretches real well, so trying to mess with POINT 19 inches. or POINT 08 inches is counter productive. You are working yourself into a frazzle trying to mess with that type of measurement. You have to open things up here and there for the width of the frame on a wheelgun, just as you need to ease in a bit on some places. Same with auto pistols. Play with some junk leather for a bit and you'll see where things need to be opened up some and/or tightened up some. Experience is about the best way to get the feel of doing this kind of work. And remember, if you make it too damned small. you can usually add a welt and come out OK. Here's an example: I took on a job (like a fool) without having the gun to make my initial silhouette from, but was told that it was EXACTLY the same size as another model made by the same manufacturer. The gun wouldn't be available for about a week but I started anyway. I started by drawing my pattern, cutting the leather and even stitching down the belt loop. When I got the gun I found that ( other than being the shiniest pimp gun I ever saw) it was a bunch wider than was told to me. What to do? Make a welt so it would fit. Here are pics of that holster. I didn't lose anything but just a bit of time. Experience is the best teacher IMO --- I've been at it for a little over 50 years now, and still learn stuff, just don't make it more difficult than it is. Mike

006-1.jpg

008-3.jpg

That is one heck of a welt Katsass, I just got to ask how in the world did you sew something that thick, never mind I don't want to know...lol.

I was looking at one my patterns and the thought struck me that perhaps I was over complicating the whole process, trying to be too technical, hence the reason for the question. I had thought that is the gun was 1.18 at the widest point then I could just use 1 inch as my starting point and work from there.

Thanks again for the advice.