Looking for a mold for a 4" 1911. Rings doesn't make one. Any other place I can try?

If no molds are available, it sounds like a good excuse to buy a real one for your collection?

Agreed! Of course finances will dictate if that is a realistic solution. :-)

I have been considering cutting down a 4.25" blue gun to fill that void.

I cut 1/4" off the end of a Commander length blue gun. Works like a champ! I did the same thing with a 5" Operator blue gun. Cut 1" off the end and reworked the end of the rail and dust cover area with a dremel to make a 4" railed dummy. The good thing about blue guns is that you can rework them pretty easily.

I attach a 1/4" diameter aluminum rod to the top of the slide on all my blue guns, using an epoxy. The creates a nice molded sight channel. I usually sand the front sight off the blue gun and run the rod from the rear sight to the front of the slide.

1340399946[/url]' post='253727']

I attach a 1/4" diameter aluminum rod to the top of the slide on all my blue guns, using an epoxy. The creates a nice molded sight channel. I usually sand the front sight off the blue gun and run the rod from the rear sight to the front of the slide.

Hey Steve where do you get the aluminum rods from and what type of epoxy do you use?

Edited by rccolt45

Hey Steve where do you get the aluminum rods from and what type of epoxy do you use?

Rods from home depot or Lowes. Epoxy is JB Weld. Virtually any two part epoxy should work as there isn't much stress on the part.

1340410955[/url]' post='253758']

Rods from home depot or Lowes. Epoxy is JB Weld. Virtually any two part epoxy should work as there isn't much stress on the part.

Ok will give it a try.

Sorry Steve one more question. When you first draw your templete around the gun am I correct in that the rod is on the gun ? Or do you take the rod of when making templets? Seems like it would need to be on the gun to make room but want to check. Muck thanks

Sorry Steve one more question. When you first draw your templete around the gun am I correct in that the rod is on the gun ? Or do you take the rod of when making templets? Seems like it would need to be on the gun to make room but want to check. Muck thanks

I do not take the rod into account when making a template, but I like to have a really tight holster.

I cut 1/4" off the end of a Commander length blue gun. Works like a champ! I did the same thing with a 5" Operator blue gun. Cut 1" off the end and reworked the end of the rail and dust cover area with a dremel to make a 4" railed dummy. The good thing about blue guns is that you can rework them pretty easily.

I did the same thing with a Commander model to get a 4" model.... as Steven said, works like a champ....