Sign in to follow this  
MADMAX22

Grey dye or have to go acrylic?

Well guys I got some variouse dyes and what not for my original project which was suppose to be my motorycle seat. However when I tried mixing the white and black (feibings dye) with a little of the dye thinner the white dye just puddled up in a goop ball. Guess maybe its water based or something but it didnt say.

So the question is how do I do a nice dark grey color. I have a silver bike with lots of chrome and would like to do my seat and bags (eventually) in a nice dark grey.

Do you all jsut do a thinned out black, does that give nice results or do you have to do acrylics. If I have to do acrylics I have not researched that at all so that opens up another can of worms. Guess that may be another thread but can acrylics even be used for motorcycle seats.

Thanks for your input.

I've not seen a Fiebings in dark grey only light grey but you could try someone who does leather furniture, there are quite a few DIY kits available to repair furniture but you might find because of H&S law they are water-based.

I've mixed lots of colours in the past and not had a reaction so it might be as you say you've tried a water/spirit mix.

I have heard-tell of a leatherworker round here that makes his own dyes, and that he has gotten a nice Grey color from soaking steel wool in his dye medium. Not sure if he was using an ancohol or water or what, but if making your own dyes is a project you're willing to undertake I would give the steel wool idea a try.

Maybe the industrial nature/colors of your bike would compliment a "steel" colored dye?icon1.gif

Fiebings has a grey color dye.

I beleive it's the same base as there white.

Thanks for input guys, gonna try the steel wool and vineger or water and see what happens.

Cheers

Thanks for input guys, gonna try the steel wool and vineger or water and see what happens.

Cheers

MAX,

Let us know how it comes out.