DoubleC

Barge Contact Cement Or 'shoe Glue'

This stuff is supposed to be good, and I guess it is but it always makes a freakin mess. Accidentally tonight I found out painter's tape will pick it up from your bench and the edges of your project while it's still wet. No more wiping with a cloth and making a bigger mess. Now if there was just a solution that easy for rotary cutting......Cheryl

Can you be a little more specific with 'shoe glue'? There's a product called 'shoe-goo' which is not suitable for what we do. Instead of 'Barge', I get Dap contact cement from Lowe's. Spread t h i n on both pieces, and let it dry to almost no tackiness to the touch, Carefully position and stick together....no mess.

Barge all purpose cement Mike. And I glue my backs on my straps before I sew them, or the overlays, etc. You of course want to get the edges of the BACK well, but not the edge of the leather, or your bench. When it stretches out or runs over the edge I had some wadded up painters tape next to me and was trying to wipe the drips up with that and accidentally touched a sticky part of the painters tape to a drip, and it slurped the glue right up. I got this because ik saw a video of making guitar straps and the guy used 'shoe glue' so I ran a search and this is what came up. I do NOT like it so will get some of what you are talking about. Cheryl