Sign in to follow this  
Martello

Where Can I Find How To Do This?

I tried google, maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing but how do I do the braid/weave on the handle of floggers and whips like you see here?

I've also seen finer braids/weaves with thinner leather. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated

bullw.jpg

Here's a video on construction.

General braiding can be learned through a book like "Leather Braiding" by Bruce Grant which can be picked up at Tandy or on the internet.

The handle looks like a simple 4 thong round braid (2 red and 2 black) around a core.

Edited by HellfireJack

Here's a video on construction.

General braiding can be learned through a book like "Leather Braiding" by Bruce Grant which can be picked up at Tandy or on the internet.

The handle looks like a simple 4 thong round braid (2 red and 2 black) around a core.

Awesome thank you for the vids and the book!

They are both such a great help.

there's a tutorial on handle braiding here

This man is a treasure: http://www.youtube.c...bernie46/videos

I have been trying to finish a turk's head on my first flogger all day on and off. I got one, but can't seem to get the other. It's going to take a lot of practice! The weave on the handle on that flogger looks to be 16 strands. If you search through Bernie's videos, you'll get an idea what's involved. Here's one where he weaves:

I don't have a beveler for my laces, so I"m just cutting and dying lace myself. Anyway, This video will show you how to plait the handle. I used 16 stands in a diamond weave on mine over a cut piece of broom handle. What you're going to want to do the weave is to overlap in a cris-cross your two colors. Your foundation color should lie flush and completely cover the circumference of the handle. Then add your second color in the same fashion going the opposite direction (cris cross them at the top). I put them on with rubber bands at first so there was room to move them if I got it wrong (and I did several times).

Good luck! I'll show you a photo if you want when my camera battery charges up.

The knots are considerably harder. And I used rubber tubing instead of leather for the fall, so I haven't got any advice about that.

Kate

Edited by KCrimini

Also, the guy above is right. That handle only has 4 or 8 strands, so should be a lot easier.